Dryer too hot in back

Hello.

I have a 7 year old Frigidaire dryer, used several times a week over the years. Tonight I placed my hand on the back of the dryer to move it and the back was hot enough to cause pain, I did not leave my hand long enough to burn. Yes, I do know a dryer uses heat to dry clothes, but I thought the heat remained on the inside of the dryer.

The paint on the back of the dryer has turned from white to beige, most likely from the heat. The dryer exhaust hose is clear as is the vent. There is some lint caught in the folds of of the hose, but nothing large. The dryer blows air from its exhaust pipe when the hose is disconnected and connected to the outside vent. My wife commented that she has increased the drying cycle over the past year.

Is this normal for a dryer? Should I stop using the dryer immediately?

Thank you,

Vito

Reply to
Vinnie Boombotts

I'm no expert on these things, but if it is too hot to touch on the outside, then it is even hotter 'under the skins' so I would stop using the dryer immediately and call for service. The discoloring by itseld is probably not that big an issue over the years, but heat build-up to that extent isn't.

Reply to
mwlogs

Hi,

Model#?

On the back of the dryer or on the top near the back?

That was normal for these dryers.

If the heating element area is getting too hot ( element is behind the drum ), some possible trouble makers:

- grounded heating element

- operating thermostat not cycling the heat on and off correctly

- poor air flow ( venting, fan blower, lint filter, etc )

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Try changing the heat setting from HIGH to MEDIUM or LOW. I hope you are using a metal flex hose connected to the dryer.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Vinnie,

A dryer needs several things to work correctly. Yours is hot so the element is working. A dryer needs proper air flow. There is a fan type mechanism attached to the dryer motor. Sometimes they are plastic fins which break off thus lower air flow. Sometimes the fan shrod gets blocked or the exit hose gets blocked or pinches, thus restricted air flow and the dryer gets hotter. Try operating the dryer for about ten minutes without the hose attached to the back. If the temp appears OK then your hose is restricted somewhere, get a new one. If the air flow does not appear to be normal then check those fan blades. It also wouldn't hurt to take the cover off, take the dryer outside, and blow it out with an air hose. Hope this helps.

V> Hello.

Reply to
Joey

Thank you for all of your advice. The dryer is very hot on the back at the top, just under the control panel.

The dryer hose is not blocked, I have a face full of lint proving this fact. I clean the lint screen every cycle. The outdoor vent opening does not have a trap door, it is always open.

I can replace the vinyl dryer hose with a new one to eliminate that issue.

Is the dryer damaged in some way after many months of operating this way? Is it a fire hazard? I guess I can replace the dryer, a new dryer is cheaper than a new house.

Thanx

Reply to
Vinnie Boombats

Based on some experience and the comment that it takes longer to dry clothes, maybe the heating element has broken off? (Some dryers have two heaters!) That part of the heater of a broken heater may now be in contact with the metal frame and is getting VERY hot! Strongly suggest you get someone electrically competent to look at it. As long as the metal frame of the dryer is grounded there is maybe not too much electrical danger? But I wouldn't risk it. Also there may be a risk of fire or the dryer may shut down completely for a while at times when the overheat switches operate? Get it looked at pronto!

Reply to
Terry