[SOLVED] Dryer timer motor - Reverse? (2023 Update)

Hi all,

When I moved into my house the previous owner left a second dryer behind- with a note saying dryer is good, but timer doesn't work. Both dryers were quite old- so I decided to keep the second one around in case the first dryer broke down. Well yesterday the first dryer failed. I got the bright idea of comparing the timers on each and found the little tear drop shaped motors to somewhat match. I went ahead and swapped-out the motor portion for the second dryer. Now the timer works, however, it rotates in the wrong direction. The motor looks really simple- is it possible to reverse the polarity (switch the wires around) without wrecking the little timer motor. I guess I can still use it in reverse(for timed dry purposes). I would just have to re-label the dial for the wife.

Thanks much.

Reply to
CDW
Re: Dryer timer motor - Reverse? open original image

I had this problem. It cost about an hour to fix it. When I took the timer out and removed the cover, I noticed burn marks on the inside of the cover. I suspect that a visitor who used the dryer turned the dial the wrong way & it shorted. Two of the contacts on the mechanism on the inside of the timer had carbon burns. I lighted sanded them clean & reinstalled the timer. It works now.

Reply to
Dak

Not with an AC motor.

Reply to
Patch

In alt.home.repair on 30 Jul 2003 05:40:13 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (CDW) posted:

How long did it last?

This is no problem. Just turn the dryer upside down.

**

That wouldn't work in a washer, that has all sorts of levers. It might not work for a dryer either. If you can't manually turn the knob counterclockwise (and I can't on mine I think), the motor probably won't be able to do so either. Unless the reason I can't do so is that there is no clutch going backwards and it is the motor itself that resists this. But I don't think so. Put a little drop of red paint or nail polish on the gear coming out of the motor, and the gear it goes into. Then let it run for a couple minutes and see if the red marks have moved. I'll bet they don't.

Or, take that gear the motor gear meshes with and see if you can turn it with a screwdriver in one directions as easily as the other. It may go only in the direction that the old motor went in.

Since you know it only needs the motor, I don't think they are that expensive.

**Meant only as levity, not as trolling. Really.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

you probably have a a/c motor and with one changing the leads does nothing... you might try to open up the motor and removing the armature or stator and see if that will change the direction of the motor??/ make a zip cord out of an old lamp cord with aligator clips on the end to connect to the motor(but be careful as you can electrocute yourself as the wires will be hot...juice).. and save time before you put it back in to see if it works correctly..... if not then hunt around the junk places or the trash piles, they always throw out old wash. mach. dryers on the streets.....

Reply to
jim

Hi,

Won't work :(

The timer can be removed and sent away ( see local repair shop or parts depot ) to be rebuilt/repaired for usually a fraction of the cost of a new timer. Usually takes 7-10 days for the timer to come back from the rebuilding company.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff