dryer repair

i need to replace the front dryer support glide on my matag dryer. I am not sure what material to use. the mfg want $12 per strip of 25 cent material, the dryer needs 2 strips.. does anyone have experience doing this ?
My wife said last evening, "Oh, by the way, the dryer is making a loud howling noise. I think a bearing is going out."
How long has it been doing that, Honey?
Oh, quite a while.
Grrrrrr.
So, today, I pop the top of the dryer, take off the front panel, take out the drum, lube the bearings all around, clean out about five pounds of lint, and put her all back together.
I love being able to save $100 by working on stuff myself.
Now, I have two other dryers to do the same thing to.
It's always something. -Roseanne Roseannadanna-
Steve
SteveB, 5/11/2005, 7:10:48 PM, wrote:

You shouldn't talk about your wife in public like that! (grin)
--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

hehe
What did you use for lube? Something that won't attract dust?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Do all dryers have support glides? Mine (Kenmore) has a bit of a wobble, but I do not find any guides. The dryer is as in the picture below.
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/inglisfronttilt.JPG
Seems to be suspended in the front on a felt seal, which is thicker on top and thinner on bottom (two part). The felt seems intact and at least 1/4 inch thick (top part). Drum in my case seems to wobble front-rear, when I watch it turning with door open.
Any hints?
Regards,
RichK
wrote in message

Maybe the rollers? I just had to fix mine...
This response is for RichK:
Every dryer manufacturer uses a different system to suspend the drum. Maytag uses two rollers in the back with two bottom glides in front. Your Whirlpool dryer has two rollers in back with a plastic ring on the drum and a felt pad on the front panel, one of the best systems in the industry if you ask me. Front/back movement can be a little hard to fix, a more exotic probelm. First, check for rear rollers in good shape. Tread doesn't really wear on these too much, but the hubs can wear down and make the roller wobble. The one on the right seems to be particularly prone to this. If the rollers are good, and the rear seal is not excessively worn or tattered, then drum movement can point to cabinet or rear bulkhead allignment, perhaps due to being tweaked during a move. What this can look like is the drum barely hanging on to the front bulkhead during operation. If it isn't causing a problem with performance, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Some Whirlpool dryers use 2 rollers in back, and 2 in front. These tend not to wear out, but they are noisier.
By the way, the two worse systems in use are by Frigidaire and GE. The former uses a rear ball/cup system that requires lubrication over the life of the machine (former 3-glide front system now replaced by one more like Whirlpool). The latter uses a sort of male/female bearing system with a nylon sheath in the rear that can wear out, with a 4-glide system that holds up drum in the front on top. These glides do wear out, and then the drum will start wearing on the plastic bulkhead that holds them, requiring replacement of that part if it is worn too much.
Thanks NospamTodd for a very comprehensive write-up specifically on this design.
I've been using household appliances all my life, without ever "looking inside". Now some are in need of attention and it's time to learn how they operate and the various designs.
After you info, I will take another dive inside this thing. looking specifically at the items you pointed out. The roller rubber felt OK, first time I looked, but the right roller had a fair amount free play, perhaps in the hub is the problem.
Thanks again,
RichK

While you're in there, also check the rollers in back.

On 18 Jun 2006 11:27:27 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@fhcrc.org"

They're just Teflon strips. If you can finc sheets the same approximate thickness, cut them to size.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info