Dryer receptacle worries

Hi just bought new home 1 1/2 years now. I recently was considering new dryer but now am concerned the 220 volt dryer receptacle is sitting 3/4 inches off the floor it is actually cut into the baseboard. Is this ok or should I be contacting my builder. I am worried any flooding or overflow from my washer would surely seep into the receptacle.

Is this a hazzard and is there any reference to code requirements for height. My friends house has receptacle over 20 inches from the floor this seems much more safer.

I also have no air flow coming out of one of my bedroom vents, is there something that can turn this on or off!

Do I have a real problem or is this common.

Jeff

Reply to
darkkprime

Your dryer outlet is fine. If for some reason water starts pouring onto it, I would recommend turning off the water. Some vents have a lever in them that will control the air flow. Sometimes the duct attaching to the vent (in the attic) has a control lever on it. Some vents are returns, from which air goes back into the system

Reply to
RBM

thanks for the reply I understand I can turn the water off but if it overflows before I discover it in a very short time it will reach the height of the receptacle and my fear is it will cause a major electrical issue or possibly become dangerous.

Jeff

RBM (remove this) wrote:

Reply to
darkkprime

Is this in a basement where water can actually build up? If it's on an upper floor which is implied by the low mounting height and baseboard then it's very unlikely you could get an accumulation of water that high anyway as it would flow under doors and down through floors. If it is on an upper floor you might want to get one of the inexpensive plastic washer pans and plumb it into the drain so if there is a washer leak / overflow the water will not destroy your house.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I wouldn't worry about water; the worst it could do is short out the circuit. I can't see it being either a fire or electrical hazzard. Does the electrical box have a cover over it under the molding? That is necessary for fire safety.

Reply to
Toller

I recommend everyone who has a washer adds a auto shut off valve for the water lines, it autoimaticallt turns the water off unless the washer is runing.

can save a flood

Reply to
hallerb