Dryer problem making me crazy

I have a 7 year old whirlpool dryer with electronic sensor dry (2 contacts inside drum). The dryer occasionally (once in every 5-6 cycles) stops. It nearly always stops within the first 10 minutes. It is tough to diagnose due to the occasional nature of the stops. Here are the facts so far:

  1. It is not the vent pipe. Cleaned it and have run it without the vent pipe for a while - still stops.

  1. It is not the electronic dry sensor. It stops on the timed cycle too, as well as automatic cycle. I also removed the sensor circuit board and run just on timed cycle and problem persists.

  2. Does not seem to be any motor amp or overheat thermal switches since the dryer immediately will restart right after it stops. Typically, they must have time to cool.

  1. I can't find any problem with the door switch - but my next move is to take it out of the circuit.

What else could cause the dryer to stop? It is not just the heat kicking off, but the drum too.

Help. Thanks.

Reply to
borne

Hi, When you mention sensor there are several one of them being safety limit sensor. Have you cleaned out the whole dryer free of lint build up? Your heating element may be causing intermittent short raising temp. abnormally high. Check them.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

sounds like a door switch, intermittents can be a bear.

gas or electric dryer?

Reply to
hallerb

Electric. When I pulled the auto dryer circuit, it went a week without stopping so I thought I had it. I've wiggled the door switch and shook the whole unit looking for loose connections, but could not find any.

Yes, I took the entire dryer apart and cleaned it good. Heating elements look good. If it raised the temp and that knocked it off, why can I start it back right away. My experience with thermal switches are that they take a minute to cool back down (being bi-metalic switches).

Thanks

Reply to
borne

add another set of door switch wires to the outside and connect together. if the problem disappears you have found it.

is door shutting smooth and square, is dryer level?

these can cause door switch troubles

Reply to
hallerb

That's good one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

from your investigation, I suspect a intermittent solder joint on your controller board. These will be just fine, until it gets hot and the board warps just enough fo the solder joint to trip the sensor, then everything is ok again after you re-start. I had this problem in a car, and it was a beach to diagnose. good luck tim1198

Reply to
tim1198