Dryer outlet problem

Page 2 of 2
mm wrote:

meh? you can get any cord you want at your local Big Box, just pull the plate off the back of the dryer and swap away. way easier than changing the receptacle, only reason I would change the recep is to "make it right" which would involve running a ground wire and using a current 30A 4-wire recep
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I'm not sure what they installed on your new range, but your old dryer plug and outlet with three straight blades, two at angles and one straight, is a standard three wire 50 amp range configuration. The same configuration with the right angle center connection is a standard three wire 30 amp dryer plug

MiamiCuse wrote:

That range plug sounds like a NEMA 6-50 (for welders.)
Bob
MiamiCuse wrote:

Miami, when you get all the work done on your house, I hope you have an open house for all on ahr newsgroup. I'll bring potato salad :o)

I am serving magaritas and tequilas and everyone must wear hawaiian shirts.
MiamiCuse wrote:

And a sombrero?
TDD
MiamiCuse wrote:

Wrong ocean, and the locals will laugh at you. If you are in Carib, you need island shirts. Different colors, sometimes just plain white.
-- aem sends...
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 08:53:40 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Given the airfare, I think he should provide all the food. We've already spend more time on his house than I have on mine.
MiamiCuse wrote:

Just flatten out that "L" on an anvil with a hammer or vise. Plug manufacturers are always trying to frig with the public.
Hipupchuck wrote:

Yea, what a dumb idea to have receptacle configurations that disallow wrong connections.

The difference is the amp rating. Look here to see the difference http://www.lni.wa.gov/WISHA/Rules/corerules/HTML/296-800-280.htm
I don't know of any adapters. Perhaps you can change to a 50A cordset but the 30A is the standard, it seems. Can you use the old cord? Or just replace the receptacle.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Ah! Should have read ahead. Yes, 30 amp. If it's a 20amp circuit, with a 30amp adapter of some sort, I think the hazard would mostly be the machine may not run as well but there might be other hazards I am not aware of. If it's a 50 and you out a 30 device, I think thats supposed to be dangerous.
I'm sure one of the more electrically inclined will know! Afterall, I'm known for that not being my 'high spot' in repairs ;-)
MiamiCuse wrote:

check this out
http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20References/plugandreceptacleconfiguratio.htm
I'm guessing your old recep is a NEMA 10-30R, yes?
and your new plug is a NEMA 14-30P?
that's perfectly normal, you have two options:
1) replace the cord on your new dryer with your old cord (if still serviceable) or a new 3-wire cord. Bond the case of your dryer to neutral (there should be instructions in the manual that came with it to do this.)
2) run a new wire from your breaker box to your dryer receptacle, instead of using 10/2 you will have to use 10/3. Replace receptacle with a new NEMA 14-30R. Do NOT bond case to neutral.
used to be that 120/240V appliances did not require a separate chassis ground, they could be bonded to neutral. Code changed a few years back and now do require a separate ground wire.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
MiamiCuse wrote:

Your current equipment is wrong. The "L" shaped prong means it is 30 Amp.
"MiamiCuse" wrote

20 or 50 Amp?

I believe that is 30 Amp? Thats why the connectors are different. To keep you safe.
I know in my case, any 'heavy 220 type gear' gets on only the proper circuits. I had an electrician change out a few things not long ago and put in GFCI's in the kitchen and screened porch.
Think of it this way, if the gear is meant to run at one amperage and you feed it higher or lower, you could be creating a fire hazard.

It's 30A, at least the circuit breaker is a double breaker both labeled "30". So it looks like the new dryer has the right amp, just that the outlet socket is not matching?