Dryer not drying completely

My dryer has quit drying clothes completely when using the automatic mode. When it was new I could use the auto dry settings and it would run till the clothes were dry then stop no matter how long or short of time it took now it will stop running before the clothes are dry signaling by buzz that they are dry. Do newer dryer have a "humidistat" to sense that the clothes are dry? I am guessing something has to sense the humidity in the clothes as this is not based on time.
Joe
did you try cleaning the lint out of the outside vent. Even with cleaning lint traps stuff gets up there.
Joe wrote:

I'd start by checking that first.
I ditto that. As long as you feel hot air most likely there is a lint blockage between the back of the dryer and where it vents to the outside. I have had this experience before.

Joe wrote:

Hi,
Most do not, some do have a sensor bar to tell an electronic control how wet or dry the clothes are to tell the timer to move faster towards the off position or slower towards the off position.

It still works ok on the timed dry cycle? Make, model#, approx age??
jeff Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

leave a waxy coating on the sensor bars so they can't read the moisture content of the fabric. If so, it's necessary to clean them every three months or so with a little alcohol to cut the wax.
Joe wrote:

It sure sounds like a venting problem. How far is the dryer from the outside vent? How many 90 turns does it make getting there? When was the last time you cleaned the lint from the line and from inside the dryer?
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I was having the very same problem with some pretty old machines in my apartment. I think the final result was poor venting that has been speculated above.
I think this fix is definitely one for the pros. Poor venting can also be a fire hazard as I have come to find out. My guy from sears said it would be over $800. Thankfully my landlord said new Kenmore HE4Ts would be going in. The one advantage of renting.
Lola wrote:

With new vents or just attached to the old?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I believe with new vents. I think my whole system is going to be updated when the HE4ts arrive.