OK here are a few things to check. If you are careful and know your way
around 220V current, you can use a meter to check to see how far the power
is getting. If it is getting to the heaters, then they or it is bad. If it
is not getting there, then the relay or the relay is not getting a signal to
go on. That signal is dependent on several sensors including over heating
(in the exhaust) dryer temp and maybe dampness.
Is it gas or electric. In either case there are a number of things (at
least four or five) that could be the cause.
If you have to ask such a general question I respectfully suggest you
are jumping to conclusions (about a heating element for example) and/
or lack practical knowledge? That can lead to unecessary cost when it
'might' be something very simple (and fairly cheap) indeed?
Recently somebody told about the cost of themselves changing an oven
element; now their oven doesn't heat properly at all. Obviuosly it was/
is something else! Most likely not the rather expensive oven element
at all! Or the owner miswired something?
BTW: Many electric dryers use 230 volts so be careful!
Thanks for your response. I am very good at troubleshooting. I own a computer
repair shop and do it
every day. I work out of a tv\\repair shop so I am around electronics all day. I
am asking here
because I never opened a dryer before. I also never touched electricity in a
house until recently
when a friend showed me how to wire new outlets and lights. Also, when I heard a
crackling sound in
my circuit panel whenever my boiler turned on, he talked me through how to open
the panel and
replace the circuit.
So, as inexperienced as I am at some things,. I am able to do most things when
someone tells me what
to do. I never opened a dryer but I know that power is getting to it and it may
be a heating
element or something else. I know how to use a volt meter. I just wanted to be
nudged in the right
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:29:13 -0500, "Paul of Dayton"
The pipe looks clear. Not sure of the age because I bought the house 2 years
ago, but I have a
feeling the last owners bought it and they moved in in 2002.. So it is probably
almost 5 yrs old.
I did flip the 2 circuit breakers after I read something on the net that said to
do that. No good.
This is a long shot but.... Our dryer has a wetness/dry sensor. The
dryer quit drying and when the repair guy came out the first thing he
checked was the sensor in the dryer. He took some rubbing alcohol and
cleaned the sensor and the dryer worked fine. Like I said it's a long
shot but you never know.
You were right on the money. I opened the back of the dryer and checked the
element for continuity,
which it had. I took the small sensor to my job after I saw there was no
continuity and no voltage
reading. The chinese technician took it and threw it on the floor once, then
again until he heard
something inside shaking. He looked at me and said "works". I went home, and
sure enough, it worked.
So, the sensor didnt even go bad. It just buckled on the inside (convex to
concave?) and had to be
loosened. Total cost of repair----- $0. I almost bought another dryer too. Good
thing I know some
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.