Dryer not drying

All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It runs but there is no heat. Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be repaired?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

It may be the element, but it can be some other problem. You can get some diagnostic help at

and
It would help to diagnose if you have a VOM also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Electric or gas?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Make sure the vent pipe is completely clear, first. By the way, how old is it? Also, if it's electric, flip the breaker off/on and try it again (after checking the vent).

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Is it gas or electric. In either case there are a number of things (at least four or five) that could be the cause. If you have to ask such a general question I respectfully suggest you are jumping to conclusions (about a heating element for example) and/ or lack practical knowledge? That can lead to unecessary cost when it 'might' be something very simple (and fairly cheap) indeed? Recently somebody told about the cost of themselves changing an oven element; now their oven doesn't heat properly at all. Obviuosly it was/ is something else! Most likely not the rather expensive oven element at all! Or the owner miswired something? BTW: Many electric dryers use 230 volts so be careful!

Reply to
terry

but there is no heat.

This is a long shot but.... Our dryer has a wetness/dry sensor. The dryer quit drying and when the repair guy came out the first thing he checked was the sensor in the dryer. He took some rubbing alcohol and cleaned the sensor and the dryer worked fine. Like I said it's a long shot but you never know.

Reply to
jst

Sorry for not clarifying. It is electric.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

The pipe looks clear. Not sure of the age because I bought the house 2 years ago, but I have a feeling the last owners bought it and they moved in in 2002.. So it is probably almost 5 yrs old.

I did flip the 2 circuit breakers after I read something on the net that said to do that. No good.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Thanks for your response. I am very good at troubleshooting. I own a computer repair shop and do it every day. I work out of a tv\\repair shop so I am around electronics all day. I am asking here because I never opened a dryer before. I also never touched electricity in a house until recently when a friend showed me how to wire new outlets and lights. Also, when I heard a crackling sound in my circuit panel whenever my boiler turned on, he talked me through how to open the panel and replace the circuit.

So, as inexperienced as I am at some things,. I am able to do most things when someone tells me what to do. I never opened a dryer but I know that power is getting to it and it may be a heating element or something else. I know how to use a volt meter. I just wanted to be nudged in the right direction.

Reply to
Tony

OK here are a few things to check. If you are careful and know your way around 220V current, you can use a meter to check to see how far the power is getting. If it is getting to the heaters, then they or it is bad. If it is not getting there, then the relay or the relay is not getting a signal to go on. That signal is dependent on several sensors including over heating (in the exhaust) dryer temp and maybe dampness.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

there is no heat.

Element? Is this electric?

Just checking....

tom

Reply to
LayPerson Tom

but there is no heat.

You were right on the money. I opened the back of the dryer and checked the element for continuity, which it had. I took the small sensor to my job after I saw there was no continuity and no voltage reading. The chinese technician took it and threw it on the floor once, then again until he heard something inside shaking. He looked at me and said "works". I went home, and sure enough, it worked. So, the sensor didnt even go bad. It just buckled on the inside (convex to concave?) and had to be loosened. Total cost of repair----- $0. I almost bought another dryer too. Good thing I know some knowledgeable people.

Tony

Reply to
Tony