Dryer noise when drum turns

Have a relatively new (read: just out of warranty!) Maytag Intellidry electric dryer. Just started to make a rubbing noise when it's on. If I manually turn the drum it also makes this noise. It's a constant noise, as though it's rubbing? Can't tell if there's resistance, as I never tried turning it prior to this. But then I ran a load anyway and after a few minutes it stopped. Did it again today, though much less of a noise. Called Maytag help line, and she wasn't sure, but said the rollers may need servicing, but that it was out-of-warranty and they couldn't help on that matter (it's 15 months old). Thanks in advance for any help!
enigma wrote in message

That's quite possible depending on the exact model number of your dryer. You can find tips for locating the model number on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.
Other common noise makers in dryers include a worn idler pulley (belt tensioner), something (stray sock, etc.) caught inside somewhere, a worn blower fan or perhaps a worn belt (pretty rare for creating noises).
It will really need to be looked into to find the actual cause in your case.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Maytag+dryer
=~~~~~~
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:29:54 -0500, "Dan O."

somewhere I can check for how/what to take apart to check on the potential problems? TIA!
Here's a web site I have found to be very helpful. http://fixitnow.com / D.O.D.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I found there are two clips at the bottom of the front that releases the bottom of the front panel, but the top appears to still be attached. Obviously I don't want to force anything. What's my next step at taking the front panel off? Thanks again.

Hi,
Some Maytag "take apart" helps....
http://www.applianceaid.com/may-apart.html
Best of luck with the repair!
jeff.
APpliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

That is the cheaper line of Maytag dryer more in common with the Norge/Magic Chef designs than genuine Maytag. It does have front and rear rollers which could be the problem.
You can see some service information about an older style of that dryer design at the following link (may not be exactly like yours) and exploded view parts diagrams of your exact model at the second.
http://american-appliance.com/service_pages/white_westinghouse_dryer/white_w estinghouse_Electric_Dryer_Diagnostic_Chart.htm
(should be all on one line)
Maytag PYE4558AYW Dryer Parts Breakdowns
http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?psm=PYE4558AYW
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=maytag+dryer
=~~~~~~

Hi,
MagicChef/Norge/Performa style Maytag dryer....soem take apart helps... http://www.applianceaid.com/ww-and-mc.html#maytag_family
jeff.
On 29 Oct 2003 20:32:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote:

That's the one!! Amazing; and here I thought I had a Maytag just because it says "Maytag" on it. Don't fully understand that, but no matter. And, the first thing that link cites is noise often caused by the blower coming loose from the motor shaft. Unfortunately, it hasn't. As the noise isn't continuous, I'm hesitant to go further to get to the rollers. What would I look for, in terms of a sign that they're bad? Since the problem is sporadic, I'm guessing that they might not show the tell-tale signs yet, anyway. Thanks again for all the help!

You can read about the 're-branding' of appliances at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/parts/make.shtml

If there's any play between them and the shafts they run on. Maybe signs of discoloration on the shaft or rollers themself.
If the roller can be tiled at all one way or the other on the shaft, the roller or shaft is likely worn. A noise could develop only after in use a while as the play may generate heat there which could cause the metal parts to expand and get 'tight'.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Maytag+dryer
=~~~~~~

Glad I bought a Kenmore. Cheaper that Maytag, too.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:57:50 -0500, "Bruno The Magnificent"

Actually, It's a Whirlpool. Whirlpool makes the washers & dryers for Sears.

"thing" changed recently, and the thing is still going strong.