dryer - no heat

A while back my dryer stopped heating and now just runs with cold air (1yr old Frigidaire). I changed the breaker (an old BL loadcentre 40 amp) for a new 40 amp breaker and hadn't quite put it in firmly but when I put it to on the dryer finally had heat. I put the front breaker panel on (with the breaker loose) and heard a humming sound so I losened the panel and eventually took the front off again. Funny thing is now the dryer blows cold. I finally reseated the new breaker properly so it is firm but can no longer get any heat.
My question is could there be something now wrong with the new breaker??

Yes. Check the voltage at the dryer. You may have one leg out and just getting 120 volts instead of 240.
ok, info appreciated. Do I use a regular voltmeter for that test or something else (I'm new at this)?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Some technicians use a volt meter made for electric dryers. But I usually cheat and use the old fashioned kind.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.