dryer making high pitches noise

My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have, so I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption correct?

Reply to
Evan Mann

Open it up and see if the motor can be oiled some are sealed bearings, some old ones are not. Ck all bearings for oil caps, ck belt , Oil any bracket that may be the squeeker. Run with back off maybe you can locate it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Probably. My dryer has been squealing (at start up) for the past few years now, and it has been service free for 16 years so I can't complain!

Reply to
Phisherman

I'm betting it is the plastic bushing at the rear of the drum. Very common to wear out after 5 to 15 years depending on usage.

Reply to
tomcas

Probably not a loose belt. I would suspect the bearing in the idler pulley, or the drum rollers. You could take it apart, remove the drum, and lubricate or replace these parts. A belt, rollers, and idler is probably available as a kit.

Reply to
donald girod

Well, not sure if it was the same, but my sister had the same problem. It turns out, there was a small ball bearing on the back on that damn machine. Went dry and caused the squeak.

So, if that be the case, a little lubericating oil and all is well.

Reply to
The Management

Hi Evan,

This is nearly always caused by the idler pulley. Part # 691366, it's not a tough part to replace, and not expensive - I get $12.50 for them.

But try some oil first. They often respond well when oiled with a good grade of 30 wt or sewing machine oil. (Please, no WD-40!). While the dryer front's off, it'd be a great time to drop a little oil on the rear rollers too. Once the belt's off the idler, the drum pulls right out and the rollers are easily accessible. Just a few drops of good oil will add many more years of service.

Btw, I sell the needle oiler that's perfect for this job and many others. I use one every day, and love it. You can see a picture of one at:

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Have I been helpful to you? I'll BRIBE you for your feedback! Please visit:

Exodus 20:11

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Hi,

Dryer belts don't normally make any noises....worn drum supports ( wheels, glides ) do and idler pulley ( keeps tension on the belt ) often can make noises when worn. Motor itself would be next on the list.

noise helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Dave, you really put oil on drum rollers? I've taken apart machines that have been oiled and the rollers or idler pulleys are often totally siezed since the lint floating around in there mixes with the oil and forms a nice thick gummy paste. Whirlpool recommends installing new rollers dry, the centers of the rollers are softer than the shaft and have a self lubricating (dry) compound manufactured into them. A complete rebuild kit for 29" Whirlpool/Kenmore dryers only runs $35 or so and comes with both rollers, idler pulley and belt. Sure oil will shut the thing up for a while but for a lasting repair, don't you think it would be better to replace the worn out part?

Bob Blue Streak Appliance

Reply to
Bob Wennersrom

imho, it depends on how easy it is to oil the stuff. if its as much work to oil them as replace them, then replace them. if you can oil them 10 times in the time it would take to replace, and oiling it lasts for 6 months... well its something to consider anyway...

and in any case oiling them should identify the problem positively. if oil makes the noise go away, you know whats wrong.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

If you look into and correct what's causing the noise now before it possibly leads to more extensive damage, it may even last another 16 years!

JFYI. Our current dryer is a 1969 Inglis (Whirlpool) model and I wouldn't trade it even-steven for any current model on the market.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~