Dryer Hook Up - Electric or Propane

Page 2 of 2

message

For one thing, lint. I' tried using a filter, a stocking etc. While it did trap some of the lint, some still made it past and started to build up on the intake for the oil burner making it run rich. IMO, the little benefit is not worth the added moisture and lousy air.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I built a layered filter box with a removable frame covered with screening material, then a cheap fiberglass furnace filter, then a more expensive pleated paper filter. Every so often I clean off the filters.
After a year there wasn't anything in the paper filter so I just removed it to improve airflow.
Seems to work fine.
Chris
Excellent idea! What were the overall dimensions of the box, and what did you use to attach the hose? What size furnace filter?
My idea: W/ a short pc of rigid duct, put this filter box right next to the dryer, and exhaust the hot air into the room. Also have the sheetmetal connector whats-it on the exhaust side, to connect the hose to the outside, during the summer. More-or-less what you did? They should really build something like this into the machine--in addition to the lint screen, which is obviously passing a lot of material through! What do you think of the water-type filters? I think stuff must bounce off the water. Would be different if the exhaust were actually going through a spray of sorts (scrubbers).
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Box dimensions would depend on filter size. Larger filters would impede airflow less. I used 16x25 filters.
I used regular flex dryer hose attached via an angled 4x10 furnace duct attached to the side of the box. The air enters a larger compartment at the top of the box, then passes through the screen and filter, and exits out the bottom. The screen frame and filter rest on supports made of wooden strips. The air exhausts out the bottom at front and back, the sides are solid to support the box. The front face is held on by spring clamps, and is removable to access the filters.
Chris

Oh, fudge. A gas dryer won't produce as much of anything - including heat - as a gas range plus oven cooking Thanksgiving dinner.
And, contrary to Al Gore's histronics, CO2 is not a pollutant, nor poisonous. A plant or two will convert any excess CO2 to O2.

Still waiting (40 years) for that to happen:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/climate/atmosphere/data3.html

ummm..
combustion also produces CO which is a problem if not vented ...
Mark
Technically, proper (complete) combustion does *not* produce CO, while it *necessarily* produces CO2 and H2O. However, real combustion almost always does produce CO, BUT natural gas likely produces almost immeasurable amounts, while something like oil almost assuredly produces more. Having said that, I can instantly tell when a ventless gas heater is being used--not pleasant, either.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY