Dryer fading?

My 5 year old electric dryer seems to me to not drying as fast as it used to. A load takes half again as long. I have run the breaker off and on, made sure that the lint trap was clean, and checked for kinks in the lint duct. The duct discharges under the house where I can't see, and I wonder if I need to get someone in to pull the dryer out and track that down. Any other ideas first?

Reply to
Clifton

Disconnect the vent from the dryer, and dry a load.... if it returns to normal, then you know the problem is the venting and not the dryer. Or, check the exhaust vent outside with a load drying. There should be a "fairly strong" flow of air coming out of it.

Reply to
Matt

Hi,

A copy:

Quick info tips.... Q - Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load

A1- Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.

A2 - If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground (

). Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat or pocket thermometer (
) can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and

160 degrees. Check that the drum seals are not worn out. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid
Appliance Repair Aid

Both Matt and Appliance Repair Aid gave good answer, but I think they may have missed something. " 5 year old electric dryer ... A load takes half again as long"

When an electric dryer takes twice as long to dry, it sounds like it may well be running on 120V or it has an element out.

The electrical problem would have happened all at once. The lint issue would have happened over a long period of time. In either case, it is a good idea to check the lint situation anyway as they do tend to build up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

120 volts to a 240 volt dryer = motor only and no heat from the heating element = a lot longer to dry than 1&1/2 cycles without the heat working :(

jeff Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Reply to
Clifton