dry well cost?

Sounds like fun but what is your time worth and where are you located? If you say NJ you are probably in violation of some code.

Reply to
sleepdog

Assuming of course you pulled the appropriate permits.

Reply to
sleepdog

I hope you realize that there is solid material (lint, dirt, etc.) that gets pumped out of your washing machine. A septic tank, which is pumped out every so often would have been a better option.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Where I live dry wells are a big no-no. Any form of "gray-water" use must be approved by our county. Forget-about-it in the cities.

Reply to
SQLit

I was wondering if you're violating code.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I just dug out a dry well for my washing machine. The hole was dug by hand approximately six feet deep and six feet round. I used 57 blocks with a 3 foot cover. I was wondering how much I saved by doing this myself. Thanks

Reply to
Joe

My washer has just been dumping out under the mango and banana trees behind my garage for 20 years. The trees are doing great

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm not talking about ecology. Unless you have a way to remove the solid materials before they get to the the drywell (catch basin/settling tank) or after they accumulate in the drywell, you will eventually run into problems.

Also, depending on the location of the drywell, you might have problems with capacity during heavy rainfalls, regardless of solid material accumulation.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

I'm sure the tree's are great but this is considered "grey water" and may not be allowed in some area's. On another note I always use "grey water" and the phosphates from the soap are great for growth.

Reply to
HotRod

Dumping sewage into a dry well?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hmmm, dirt on the ground. Sounds like a super fund site to me. The lint and other organic matter is simply mulch that quickly decomposes.

I still don't see the ecological hazard I am creating.

Reply to
gfretwell

You were born toilet trained?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Where is the "sewage" in a washing machine?

Reply to
gfretwell

You must really be old. I have not seen a washable diaper since the Johnson administration. You usually bleached the crap out of them so you wouldn't really have an E-coli problem anyway.

If I was really worried about that kind of thing I would be killing the wild animals who crap in my yard.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why a drywell? Just pump it out in the grass

Reply to
gfretwell

They are still widely used by those who either believe they are cheaper or are environmentally desirable.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Probably about 250-300 dollars.

Reply to
Abe

You are immortal and will never sell the house?

You're OK with your neighbors doing likewise?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I haven't met any of those people. I doubt many people have. If you are storing and handling shitty diapers, germs are not a big concern for you. I would assume an ecologist like this would appreciate the fertilizing effects of fecal matter. It is far more earth friendly than chemicals.

No babies here ... so it is not an issue.

Reply to
gfretwell

No problem at all with it. They are recycling water and that is a lot more important than worrying that one of the .001% of the parenmts who use cloth diapers would live next door. I still point out, if you have a dog, cat or endangered Gopher Tortise s*****ng in the yard you have many times the amount of fecal coliforms in a day than you wouild get from a month's diapers or a lifetime of skidmarks in your shorts.

Reply to
gfretwell