Dry time for coats of spray paint

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:56:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

be. Biggest problem (particularly with the Honda) is when the clear coat peals off. The clear coat is the UV filter - after it is gone it goes red to pink very quickly - - -
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:55:41 -0400, Steve Stone

I have. It was a long time ago, before the paint with clear coat, but otoh, it was an unusual color 1967 GM mariner turquoise. And the car was 10 years old. So it was about 1977.
All I was trying to do was get rid of scratches, and I would spray a scratch and 30 seconds later, I could not tell where the scratch had been. Nor could I tell what I had painted and what I hadn't. I was amazed, that it coudl match so well, but it did. And I never did notice what had been painted and what hadn't been, and since I had only one can, I know I didn't paint most of this full size Pontiac Catalina.
(Some colors fade more than others. I don't know about cars, but leave a map on your dashboard for a couple years and the red streets will disappear. They didnt just fade, they disapppeared completely, even though I knew where to look. The black lines and green lines were unaffected by several years of sun. I forget about other colors, but I think red is vulneralble because sunlight has a lot of orange or red in it, or the red it has is different from the green it has. The sun is yellow or reddish yellow, I think. That must mean something.
I took the car that morning to be washed at a cheap machine carwash, and even though I didnt' ask for it or pay for it, somehow they spray waxed it. I was angry, though I'd have to wait weeks to paint it, and his answer was that the wax isn't anything anyhow. He must have been right or when the wax wore off, the scratches would have come back.

I see your point but then he woudl have to paint the mirror on the other side too, and that's still on the car fwiw.
Clare's right, it's a mirror at different angles from the body, and even if it's a little different, it won't be noticed.
Duplicolor only goes so far back but I too found that company, whose name I've forgotten, that mixes any car color you want, based on the color code from the car, and puts it in a spray can (which frankly I'm sure works better than those add-on sprayers.) , But they make you buy 3 cans for about 60 dollars iirc. Base coat**, color coat, and clear coat. I was going to do it until I wrecked the right front wheel. I fixed it but the car isn't so perfect anymore. **I wouldn't even use base coat for scratches. It would make the area to be painted bigger.
Next time I have pro's paint a car, I'll paint it to mach a car for which duplicolor is still selling its paint. Then I can buy spare paint at the low duplicolor price.
The first time I painted a car Maaco gave me 4 ounces without my even asking, but the last time, I had to pay extra and they explained that it wasn't the same paint. The paint they used had fast-drying stuff in it, but if I used that it would come out bad. Or vice versa. So I paid extra and then never used my 4 oounces.

I followed my cavalier paint code with disaster. I did better looking at can colors. Lots of shades of white LOL.
Greg
To: snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca
The primer, color coat and clear coat are all arylic lacquer
The instructions on each can say to apply several light coats of each product. Three coats are "several" coats

If your doing any sanding, must be pretty dry. As far as paint, it's good to not let paint dry too much between coats. I usually use a Hair dryer fo small projects to speed up. It's not good to spray clear over dried paint. I've sanded and buffed lacquer, but never used clear lacquer. I've mostly used enamels.
Greg