dry location only halogen lighting...

My wife spent a good small fortune on halogen track for our bathroom that houses our shower. I've never seen a fixture marked "dry location only". Fixture is both CSA and UL (halogen) listed. Instructions are non-existent in the box.

There are 4 halogen bulbs, that draw 50 watts each. They are spring loaded so you twist the bulb 90 degrees to insert or take out as opposed to screwing in a bulb. It's a GU10 type bulb. It was to replace track light that use incadsent bulbs or A19.

I've seen plenty of wet location use stickers on lights before but never a dry location only. Could the dry location sticker be because the lighting will highlight the steam casting a weird glow in the bathroom, or is this type of sticker put on because there is a risk of shock is moisture comes in contact. 2 of the 4 bulbs are 44" from the shower curtain. There is NO exhaust fan in this bathroom.

The light switch controls the only outlet in the bathroom as well as the only light fixture. I didn't bother with a GFCI outlet because we never use electrical things in this washroom. If I put a GFCI outlet in will that offer protection for the light?

Reply to
The Henchman

I forgot to mention this is a ceiling mount fixture

Reply to
The Henchman

Ground fault protection is for people, not things like fixtures. My guess is that this fixture is for dry location only because of it's excessive heat. The lens covering the lamp may burst if a drop of water hits it once it's hot.

Reply to
RBM

Ground fault protection is for people, not things like fixtures. My guess is that this fixture is for dry location only because of it's excessive heat. The lens covering the lamp may burst if a drop of water hits it once it's hot.

--------

Heats up damn quick. Will burn your finger. You might be right.

Considered GU10 Compact Fluor or LED right now that can match these 50 W.

CFL don't heat up much at 7W to 11 W?? LED are so damn exspensive but are available in my town.

Reply to
The Henchman

LED makes things funny colors. SWMBO may look green so I wouldn't recomment LEDs until the color balance is beter. CFLs are now available in cool to warm ranges so SWMBO might prefer them.

Reply to
hrhofmann