dry film in paint can

Got a very basic, simple question: once I've got part way down in a gallon can of latex paint, there's a thick film that forms on the surface because I don't use it often.

The question is what is the best thing to do with the thick film? My normal inclination is simply to poke it down to the bottom, and stir good with a paddle before using. I could skim the dry coat off the surface and throw it away.

What is the best way of dealing with that film?

Reply to
RB

remove it and throw it away. DO NOT mix it in the paint unless you plan on straining the paint to remove the garbage.

Reply to
3GCPO

Strain the paint thru cheesecloth.

Reply to
Art Begun

I agree, get rid of that film. you can't disolve it in the paint again.

Once I learned to always store paint cans upside down after their first openings I haven't had that problem anymore.

Try it, you'll like it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

throw the whole can away as you did not seal it correctly and air got into the can and the paint started to evaporate......

Reply to
jim

Lay a piece of plastic wrap across the top of the paint so that it extends up the inside of the can a bit. Pull it out when you are ready to paint. Be sure to pound the lid on tight before storing it. May work better to transfer remaining paint to a plastic container, like old mayo jars. Use the paint before the can and lid rust away.

Reply to
norminn