dry film in paint can

Got a very basic, simple question: once I've got part way down in a gallon can of latex paint, there's a thick film that forms on the surface because I don't use it often.
The question is what is the best thing to do with the thick film? My normal inclination is simply to poke it down to the bottom, and stir good with a paddle before using. I could skim the dry coat off the surface and throw it away.
What is the best way of dealing with that film?

gallon
normal
it
remove it and throw it away. DO NOT mix it in the paint unless you plan on straining the paint to remove the garbage.
Strain the paint thru cheesecloth.

gallon
because I

My normal

with a

throw it

I agree, get rid of that film. you can't disolve it in the paint again.
Once I learned to always store paint cans upside down after their first openings I haven't had that problem anymore.
Try it, you'll like it.
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
RB wrote:

throw the whole can away as you did not seal it correctly and air got into the can and the paint started to evaporate......
RB wrote:

Lay a piece of plastic wrap across the top of the paint so that it extends up the inside of the can a bit. Pull it out when you are ready to paint. Be sure to pound the lid on tight before storing it. May work better to transfer remaining paint to a plastic container, like old mayo jars. Use the paint before the can and lid rust away.