Dry drains?

I plan to move a lavatory into a small closet that is above a closet in my rental unit. So I figured I'd give the floor a lead pan and drain. The drain should always be dry. Reading an article in Consumer Reports I see they recommend a trap primer to divert a dribble of water from the supply line to the drain to keep the trap full. That seems like a waste of water. I had been thinking that some sort of check value would be available that I could use to keep the sewer gases from getting out. Is a trap primer the only option?
Don Wiss wrote:

It doesn't have to "dribble" day and night.
http://www.zurn.com/pages/catalog.asp?ProductGroupIDx&OperationID  maybe some ideas.

What controls the dribble?
Don Wiss wrote:

They have an electronic one. Or, make one using a solenoid valve and timer.
Or it can be triggered by, say, a faucet opening. One could even use the toilet tank refill (caution here; improper connection could create a health hazard.)

What about something like this? http://www.trapguard.com /

looks like it will work..but it takes a while for a trap to dry out....if you start to smell sewer gas just pour a cup of water down the drain.A trap primer lets out a little "very very little" dribble of water every time a valve is opened and closed on the same supply line that the primer is attached to.It is not like a leaking faucet that runs all the time.
Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Service Technicians local 72 card number 1465687
Don Wiss wrote:

Its not just sewer gases that you need to keep out, but sewer vermin as well. Get a gallon of RV winterizer and pour a cupful or so down the drain every few weeks/months. It won't evaporate and unless you have a siphon, it won't get pulled out of the trap either.
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?