Drum brakes?

I once had a girlfriend who used it because she panicked over her pushing the clutch pedal instead of brake pedal (while learning the stick shift).

we had a short relationship ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.

No.

Only if someone kicks the gear lever. Has your car ever shifted into neutral while you're driving, when you hit a bump for example?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Have you ever had a girlfriend use it as a sex toy?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Huh?...a faulty partially-working brake might hold a car stopped until it is pushed, then momentum takes over...runaway going faster and faster.

Is that not possible?

What if someone in a rush does not put the gear lever completely in gear, say halfway between P and N? Then a bump knocks it into N. Possible?

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.

Perhaps. Although it might do that when you slammed the door too.

I don't think it's easy to put it halfway.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

that's the way the 2 1/2T system worked...although I don't recall it being on the transfer case but it prolly was as I don't remember any emergency brake being involved on the two (M49 and M35) trannys I pulled and reinstalled. and you bet yer ass the emergency brake would stop the truck. our trucks had to stall out in 3rd gear when the brake was applied...if it rolled it failed inspection. hell I use the same test today on pushmowers

Reply to
The Stumpster

When I were a lad, I once reached over the driver's shoulder and engaged the pneumatic handbrake on the school bus while it was travelling at 10mph. It stopped bloody quick and everyone stood up waiting for the stop was no longer stood up. The driver thought it was quite funny, he was great fun, he'd open the doors long before the stop and we'd jump out running.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

My *EYES*!!!

Reply to
¡Jones

I don't know about the current technology but with older automatic transmissions when they were in Park with no brake set the pawls could break if the car was rammed.

Reply to
rbowman

My wife learned to drive a stick one evening when she suddenly became the designated driver. I don't think she ever made it out of second but she got us home.

Reply to
rbowman

bothered giving it an MOT for a long time. Gears and handbrake on every s top (no footbrakes at all).

Back in HS, my buddy asked me to help him retrieve a Model B ford (?1934?). We managed to get it going but only 1 front brake worked by foot, the han dbrake was braking it appeared one rear wheel diagonally oposiite the front one. We took it down a 7 mile mountain grade with him running the foot br ake and me the hand brake.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I had two cars in HS (both late 30s) that would jump out of gear, usually when the engine was compression braking. Not uncommon for well worn cars to do it back in those days.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K