Drum brakes?

Page 3 of 3
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I've heard it could happen...is that a myth? ;-)

If it could, it'd happen when you were driving and hit a bump.
--
Confucius say man who sniff coke, drown.

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

well, you've already discussed the faulty brake, so it could happen with just the faulty brake "set" and gear in neutral.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a car knocked out of gear, or at least someone believed they had it in gear (but in a rush, maybe not).
It seems plausible that knocking a car could cause a runaway. ;-)

No.

Only if someone kicks the gear lever. Has your car ever shifted into neutral while you're driving, when you hit a bump for example?
--
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Huh?...a faulty partially-working brake might hold a car stopped until it is pushed, then momentum takes over...runaway going faster and faster.
Is that not possible?

What if someone in a rush does not put the gear lever completely in gear, say halfway between P and N? Then a bump knocks it into N. Possible?

Perhaps. Although it might do that when you slammed the door too.

I don't think it's easy to put it halfway.
--
When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her somewhere expensive... So, I took her to a petrol station...
And then the fight started...
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 12:51:51 PM UTC-7, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

<snip>

I had two cars in HS (both late 30s) that would jump out of gear, usually when the engine was compression braking. Not uncommon for well worn cars to do it back in those days.
Harry K
On 05/24/2015 12:56 PM, Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D. wrote:

I don't know about the current technology but with older automatic transmissions when they were in Park with no brake set the pawls could break if the car was rammed.
On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:59:37 +0100, in alt.war.vietnam "Tough Guy no.

Drum brakes perform better under heavy loads and long hills than disk brakes because they are better able to dissipate heat. You'll never see disk brakes on a truck... I mean a *real* truck meant for hauling tonnage.
We *can* build a quality product in the US; we've just gotten lazy.
Jones

I disagree.
dino wrote:

Son, jones is a self-admitted troll and you've just been trolled...sucker. ;-)
On 24 May 2015 09:24:20 -0700, in alt.war.vietnam dino

My *EYES*!!!