is

non

..I

und

here

ow

rids

rs

I only once had a car with brakes like that. And that's because I hadn't bothered giving it an MOT for a long time. Gears and handbrake on every stop (no footbrakes at all).
-- FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes. Excellent condition, 200 or best offer. No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.
On 05/24/2015 08:47 AM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I've lost the brakes completely, once on a '51 Chevrolet, once on a '62 Lincoln Continental. Neither had the modern split brake systems. Both had current inspection stickers (the US version of MOT in some states). The inspection included the brake lines, drums, slave cylinders, and leak down but didn't predict sudden failure of the master cylinder seal. Last year, the front master on the Harley went out. Again it was okay until it wasn't.
On 05/24/2015 07:30 AM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I used one in my '51 Chevy after the master cylinder blew a seal. It wasn't really an emergency though. Between the handbrake and downshifting I could limp home.
rbowman wrote:

I once had a girlfriend who used it because she panicked over her pushing the clutch pedal instead of brake pedal (while learning the stick shift).
we had a short relationship ;-)

Have you ever had a girlfriend use it as a sex toy?
--
The Post Office just recalled their latest stamps. They had pictures
of lawyers on them, and people couldn't figure out which side to spit
On 05/24/2015 01:38 PM, Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D. wrote:

My wife learned to drive a stick one evening when she suddenly became the designated driver. I don't think she ever made it out of second but she got us home.
On Sat, 23 May 2015 22:54:57 +0100, in alt.war.vietnam "Tough Guy no.

It's a brake you use in emergencys.
Jones
On Sat, 23 May 2015 16:30:38 -0500, in alt.war.vietnam The Stumpster

I once had a VW micro bus (yes, I was a hippy) and I split the parking brake to where I could brake a single wheel. It's kind of a poor man's 4-wheel drive.
Jones

Still a fair number of front disk/rear drum vehicles being turned out. The rear brakes do very little of the braking in normal use, so high temperature brake fade is not a big issue on the rear - and drum parking brakes are just SO much easier to make work properly

Except they don't. A brake operated by a cable on a vehicle as heavy as a car is simply pointless. I always have to park in gear to stop it rolling down a hill.
--
What did God say when he made the first black man? "Damn, I burnt one."

A properly adjusted parking brake should stop a car from rolling. I've had them actually lock up the rear wheels while moving.

Funny how I've never had one that powerful, even after an MOT has fixed it. Probably has to be brand new cable, and brand new drums/disks/whatever at the back.
--
You can listen to thunder after lightning to tell how close you came to getting hit. If you don't hear it never mind.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m611/Gymnopodie/20150314_185958_zpsfewzz8ai.jpg

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
I learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make another.

dino wrote:

Everyone knows that. And most everyone in hilly areas know to park with extra safety precautions...because, as you obviously don't grasp, parking brakes are not always properly adjusted...moron. ;-)

The trouble is they go out of adjustment if a fly lands on them.
--
You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater.

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

If possible always curb park in hilly areas for safety. ;-)

I've found handbrake and 1st gear is enough, unless it's ridiculously steep.
--
101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan are the only two Disney animated features in which both the parents are present and don't die throughout the movie.

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

very good then...the biggest fear is someone accidentily bumping your car and knocking it out of gear and/or brake causing a runaway car.
use your best judgment...that's all anyone could ask ;-)

How can you knock a car out of gear or the brake off from the outside?
--
Quando omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.