Drum brakes?

I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you can see the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year old) mid range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is there something else nowadays?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what Americans used to drive in the 1920s. LOL

Reply to
Col. Edmund Burke

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

it's far easier to put an emergency brake on a drum system so the non drive wheels in the rear and my truck has drum brakes on the rear...I know that chevy seemed to have a minidrumbrake on the center of the rear rotors on the fancy 4 wh disc jobberdos...and hey, we ain't got round corners so we don't need cars that can go round a corner

Reply to
The Stumpster

What is an "emergency brake"? We only have those on trains.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

perhaps, good sir, you call them 'hand brakes' do the kids over there like to pull the emergency in one of the rear passenger cars and throw the whole train into 'emergency stop'? they sure like to get the grids smoking on the NYC subway system. possibly the newer revenue cars have somthing to protect them from the lil 2 legged bastards.

Reply to
The Stumpster

Still a fair number of front disk/rear drum vehicles being turned out. The rear brakes do very little of the braking in normal use, so high temperature brake fade is not a big issue on the rear - and drum parking brakes are just SO much easier to make work properly

Reply to
clare

To be 100% correct, they are called a "parking brake" as they can be foot operated, hand operated, or even electrically operated.

Reply to
clare

Drum brakes perform better under heavy loads and long hills than disk brakes because they are better able to dissipate heat. You'll never see disk brakes on a truck... I mean a *real* truck meant for hauling tonnage.

We *can* build a quality product in the US; we've just gotten lazy.

Jones

Reply to
¡Jones

I once had a VW micro bus (yes, I was a hippy) and I split the parking brake to where I could brake a single wheel. It's kind of a poor man's 4-wheel drive.

Jones

Reply to
¡Jones

It's a brake you use in emergencys.

Jones

Reply to
¡Jones

The DART and the A-Train don't have 'em. You can signal the security people and *they* might stop the train. I don't think a passenger can stop a train anymore.

Jones

Reply to
¡Jones

Wouldn't a foot brake be a little rough on the soles?

Reply to
dino

Except they don't. A brake operated by a cable on a vehicle as heavy as a car is simply pointless. I always have to park in gear to stop it rolling down a hill.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

How often do people use the handbrake in an emergency?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

it worked for Barney and Fred

Reply to
The Stumpster

I'd assume anyone who has their wits about them and the brake pedal all the way to the floor. I've done it and I guarantee the pucker factor was there until the bitch stopped. used the hand brake on a 2 1/2 T truck to 'assist' in controlling the rear going back and forth as we went down a hill we should have never climbed in the first place. Mars Hill at Camp Samae San Thailand my co-driver Bennie got as pale as a black man could get and I don't doubt my freckles went away

Reply to
The Stumpster

I only once had a car with brakes like that. And that's because I hadn'= t bothered giving it an MOT for a long time. Gears and handbrake on eve= ry stop (no footbrakes at all).

-- =

FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes.=

Excellent condition, =A3200 or best offer. No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265