Drum brakes?

Page 1 of 3
I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you can see the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year old) mid range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is there something else nowadays?
--
"An abstract noun," the teacher said, "is something you can think of, but you can't touch it. Can you give me an example of one?"
"Sure," a teenage boy replied. "My father's new car."

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what Americans used to drive in the 1920s. LOL

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.
--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.
On 5/23/2015 1:59 PM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

it's far easier to put an emergency brake on a drum system so the non drive wheels in the rear and my truck has drum brakes on the rear...I know that chevy seemed to have a minidrumbrake on the center of the rear rotors on the fancy 4 wh disc jobberdos...and hey, we ain't got round corners so we don't need cars that can go round a corner
--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the shit

What is an "emergency brake"? We only have those on trains.
--
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.

On 5/23/2015 4:54 PM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

perhaps, good sir, you call them 'hand brakes' do the kids over there like to pull the emergency in one of the rear passenger cars and throw the whole train into 'emergency stop'? they sure like to get the grids smoking on the NYC subway system. possibly the newer revenue cars have somthing to protect them from the lil 2 legged bastards.
--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the shit

On Sat, 23 May 2015 17:12:31 -0500, The Stumpster

To be 100% correct, they are called a "parking brake" as they can be foot operated, hand operated, or even electrically operated.
says...

Wouldn't a foot brake be a little rough on the soles?
On 5/24/2015 8:02 AM, dino wrote:

it worked for Barney and Fred
--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the shit

True.
On an old Willys Jeep that I had, the parking brake was on the drive train, on the transfer case rear output shaft. The transfer case always leaked gear oil, even with new seals, which found its way into the brake drum and got soaked up by the shoe linings. Greasy brakes don't work.

The park position on an automatic works very well indeed. Why can a similar thing not exist on a manual gearbox? (For those stupid people who want manual gearboxes)
--
Recent medical journals are now advising doctors that, should they discover a patient has an AOL account, they should refrain from telling the patient they have sugar in their urine.
Studies show these people go home and piss on their cornflakes.
On 5/24/2015 12:13 PM, dino wrote:

that's the way the 2 1/2T system worked...although I don't recall it being on the transfer case but it prolly was as I don't remember any emergency brake being involved on the two (M49 and M35) trannys I pulled and reinstalled. and you bet yer ass the emergency brake would stop the truck. our trucks had to stall out in 3rd gear when the brake was applied...if it rolled it failed inspection. hell I use the same test today on pushmowers <G>
--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the shit

When I were a lad, I once reached over the driver's shoulder and engaged the pneumatic handbrake on the school bus while it was travelling at 10mph. It stopped bloody quick and everyone stood up waiting for the stop was no longer stood up. The driver thought it was quite funny, he was great fun, he'd open the doors long before the stop and we'd jump out running.
--
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason -- Benjamin Franklin

On 05/24/2015 07:02 AM, dino wrote:

That's tends to be the technique used by fledgling motorcycle riders. It seldom has a good outcome.
On Sat, 23 May 2015 17:12:31 -0500, in alt.war.vietnam The Stumpster

The DART and the A-Train don't have 'em. You can signal the security people and *they* might stop the train. I don't think a passenger can stop a train anymore.
Jones

How often do people use the handbrake in an emergency?
--
The problem with today's society is adults are treated like children, children are treated like retards, and retards are exempt from the law.

On 5/24/2015 8:30 AM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I'd assume anyone who has their wits about them and the brake pedal all the way to the floor. I've done it and I guarantee the pucker factor was there until the bitch stopped. used the hand brake on a 2 1/2 T truck to 'assist' in controlling the rear going back and forth as we went down a hill we should have never climbed in the first place. Mars Hill at Camp Samae San Thailand my co-driver Bennie got as pale as a black man could get and I don't doubt my freckles went away
--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the shit

you

is

non

..I

und

here

ow

rids

rs

I only once had a car with brakes like that. And that's because I hadn't bothered giving it an MOT for a long time. Gears and handbrake on every stop (no footbrakes at all).
-- FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes. Excellent condition, 200 or best offer. No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 7:47:23 AM UTC-7, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

bothered giving it an MOT for a long time. Gears and handbrake on every s top (no footbrakes at all).
Back in HS, my buddy asked me to help him retrieve a Model B ford (?1934?). We managed to get it going but only 1 front brake worked by foot, the han dbrake was braking it appeared one rear wheel diagonally oposiite the front one. We took it down a 7 mile mountain grade with him running the foot br ake and me the hand brake.
Harry K