Page 2 of 3
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

price,
John B wrote:

of
in the

blocks down

surrounding
In a different thread there's a company called Bluestar, which calls its products "cooktops." Check out their website--several sizes and options. Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.
-aem
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there. They all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial kitchen, or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment. There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK.

No, there is no room for this.
John B wrote:

there. They

kitchen,
Not sure where you looked, but those shown here are clearly drop-ins, not free standing: http://www.prizer-painter.com/pages/cooktop.html
I think they are expensive, though.
-aem
I think you are referring to the cook tops. I need an entire range/oven combo as drop-in unit. If you know of that, can you please provide a more specific link? I think the cost is significant, but of secondary importance. Thanks!

wrote

The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is nothing more than a sawzall
Or, perhaps, a wrench and screwdriver. Good point. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

wrote

Ummm....the sawzall was for the kickplate on the cabinet
Naw. That's what I'm trying to avoid. The kickplate is beautiful, coved linoleum. Thanks for the follow-up. What do you think of modifying a slide-in to a drop-in? It IS a subtraction.
wrote

On Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 12:16:26 PM UTC-8, John B wrote:

I totally understand your situation. We are looking for one as well. The gas burners still light but the oven does not. We installed and new igniter but that did not solve the problem. We purchased the drop in 20 years ago from Sears.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And you're an idiot , you just responded to a message that was posted OVER TEN YEARS AGO !
--
Snag

the
down
surrounding
would
We have the Maytag MGS5770 as seen in Vox's link. It rests on top of the counter and has feet at the bottom. Main drawback for you ( I believe) would be the bottom drawer if you want to keep your kickboard. H
Nope. http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Maytag_MGS5770ADW_MGS5770ADB_MGS5770ADQ_MGS5770ADC This sits on the ground. Not a candidate. Specs are poorly described. No description of ampacity requirement, even though there is a need for electricity. No idea how much. Says it's self-cleaning. What is "sabbath mode," anyway?

are
would

Most gas ranges that need electgricity run off a standard 1`5A outlet. The juice is needed for the electronic ignition, clock, timers, oven light.

Traditional Jewish law prevents labor on the Sabbath and that includes starting a fire. Sabbath mode keeps the oven on a very low flame so you are technically not starting a fire, merely adjusting it. Kosher kitchens and rules are very interesting.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

The
That electrical resource is already in place. A 40Amp @ 240 VAC connection is not.

are
So is such an oven conscious of the day of the week? Doesn't a proper kosher kitchen have duplication in numerous facilities? That, of course, would be impossible here.

What if the fire is already lit (pilot)? Is it OK to just make the fire bigger?

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Maytag_MGS5770ADW_MGS5770ADB_MGS5770ADQ_MGS5770ADC
even
The
are
On some ovens, Sabbath mode just overrides the automatic shut-off. Many oven will turn off after 12 hours, assuming that you simply forgot to turn it off after removing the food. When you put it in Sabbath mode, it stays on at the same temperature until you cancel it. Not only do you not have to light the fire, you don't have to touch the controls. I also believe that Sabbath mode prevents the light from turning on and off in some ovens - again, preventing you from lighting a fire.

Sounds like a 1960s kitchen. A counter-height-opening wall oven in a tall cabinet, with a drop-in cooktop in the counter right next to it, were quite common. Pretty good odds the thing is that lovely 2-tone brown 'coppertone' color. Around the time the appliances crap out, the Missus usually decides entire kitchen needs a gut job, and another set of solid maple cherry-finish cabinets hits the landfill, replaced by chipboard junk. Plug-n-run replacement appliances in those formats are probably getting quite hard to find.
aem sends...
Yeah. 1965. I was there. The replacement would be easy if the relatives who own the place would "see the light" and pop for the electrical upgrade necessary to install an electric oven. Drop-in range is easily found in electric. Nice guess on the colors, but this place was done in white...commensurate with an apartment decor. The house I grew up in was abundant with coppertone, though....electric cooktop (Mom still uses it), blower top(yep, still there), refrig, electric oven, and dishwasher gone decades ago. Oh, yeah, the pulls on the ash cabinets are still there, in coppertone. The legs on our formica kitchen table were coppertone...long gone. Mom still uses copper-bottom pots, too. Mom loved coppertone, and she helped design the house my Dad built in the 1950s. Dad, bless him, is my chief opponent in this oven selection. Nothing like a good old family brouhaha. Keeps the blood moving.
Plug-n-run

John B wrote:

Start w/ manufacturers' -- may have to have one ordered rather than find in stock and probably not at the Borg...but, I don't know specifically whether there's one specifically like what you have now or not, but that's where I'd start.

http://caraudiovideosystems.com/acf3325aw.html
Dimitri
AMANA ACF3325AW WHITE GAS RANGE 5.1 CUBIC FEET
Model ACF3325A Self Clean Gas Range
5.1 cu. ft. Self-Cleaning Oven with Automatic Latch Upswept Cooktop Design Industry Exclusive Upfront Simmer Burner Bar Broiling System Delay Bake and Delay Self-Clean Two Oven Racks with Six Positions Porcelain Broiler Pan and Grid Auto/Manual Interior Oven Light Removable Full-Width Storage Drawer Removable Counterbalanced Glass Oven Door Knob Range Control with clock/timer Exclusive High Performance Sealed Gas Burners: 12,000 BTU 9,700 BTU (2) 5,000 BTU Cast Iron Burner Grates Extra Extra Large Viewing Window Dimensions inches Height 46 1/2'' Width 30'' Depth 28 1/4''
Colors: White on White ACF3325AW Black on Black ACF3325AB Bisque on Bisque ACF3325AC Stainless Steel ACF3325AS