"drop-in" gas range sought

The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is nothing more than a sawzall

Reply to
Noon-Air

I think you are referring to the cook tops. I need an entire range/oven combo as drop-in unit. If you know of that, can you please provide a more specific link? I think the cost is significant, but of secondary importance. Thanks!

Reply to
John B

Or, perhaps, a wrench and screwdriver. Good point. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

"Noon-Air" wrote

Reply to
John B

John B some gas slide in style ovens have a draw in the bottom under the oven door i wonder if you remove the door the oven would "drop in" and a small amount of cabinet trim could match up the bottom gap?

the drawer at the bottom looks like you could remove it and have the stove recessed about 2 inches at the bottom. i believe the reason they do not sell drop in gas ranges is WARNING WARNING Will Robinson (robot voice off) doesn't natural gas tend to gather in low lying areas... wouldn't a drop in cabinet be a low lying area....?? this older design might no longer be available because of the potential for faulty valves & fittings leaking into a confined space...

the drop in style most likely has a pedestal that some of the weight is distributed on. if you can lift the stove out of the spot slightly to take a look you might get a better feel for what you need to do to get it to work. measure the counter height to make sure the final height can be achieved with standard products...

also if this is an apartment, sometime land lords will deduct the improvements from the rent. talk to them about this...i would think you could neatly cut the bottom part of the cabinet down to accommodate a modern appliance. john

Reply to
john

Check out this place.

I have no idea of price, but if anyone can, these guys teem to be able to do it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Reply to
John B

On 2/15/2005 12:32 PM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

OK, that's what mine is. It is a drop-in with a flange on the sides of the top that lays on the countertop and is covered by the lift up range top. I had to build a base for it since it doesn't have a leg to stand on. Try Sears.

Reply to
willshak

On 2/15/2005 4:18 PM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Here are 30" drop-ins at Sears

willshak

He needs gas, no hookup for electric.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Every one of those drop in ranges is electric. I looked at all three pages, carefully. I need a gas range. Thanks.

"willshak" wrote

Reply to
John B

On 2/15/2005 4:29 PM US(ET), Edwin Pawlowski took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Sorry about that. I see Sears doesn't sell gas range/ovens anymore.

Reply to
willshak

Ummm....the sawzall was for the kickplate on the cabinet

Reply to
Noon-Air

Reply to
John B

We have the Maytag MGS5770 as seen in Vox's link. It rests on top of the counter and has feet at the bottom. Main drawback for you ( I believe) would be the bottom drawer if you want to keep your kickboard. H

Reply to
Hairy

Sounds like a 1960s kitchen. A counter-height-opening wall oven in a tall cabinet, with a drop-in cooktop in the counter right next to it, were quite common. Pretty good odds the thing is that lovely 2-tone brown 'coppertone' color. Around the time the appliances crap out, the Missus usually decides entire kitchen needs a gut job, and another set of solid maple cherry-finish cabinets hits the landfill, replaced by chipboard junk. Plug-n-run replacement appliances in those formats are probably getting quite hard to find.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

We have a GE "gas on glass" unit. It is the 5 burner 36" model but they make a 30" unit as well.

Reply to
Bob Haar

Nope.

sits on the ground. Not a candidate. Specs are poorly described. No description of ampacity requirement, even though there is a need for electricity. No idea how much. Says it's self-cleaning. What is "sabbath mode," anyway?

Reply to
John B

Yeah. 1965. I was there. The replacement would be easy if the relatives who own the place would "see the light" and pop for the electrical upgrade necessary to install an electric oven. Drop-in range is easily found in electric. Nice guess on the colors, but this place was done in white...commensurate with an apartment decor. The house I grew up in was abundant with coppertone, though....electric cooktop (Mom still uses it), blower top(yep, still there), refrig, electric oven, and dishwasher gone decades ago. Oh, yeah, the pulls on the ash cabinets are still there, in coppertone. The legs on our formica kitchen table were coppertone...long gone. Mom still uses copper-bottom pots, too. Mom loved coppertone, and she helped design the house my Dad built in the 1950s. Dad, bless him, is my chief opponent in this oven selection. Nothing like a good old family brouhaha. Keeps the blood moving.

"ameijers" wrote Plug-n-run

Reply to
John B

Tell me more. Is it GAS? Can you suggest a model number? Thanks.

"Bob Haar" wrote

Reply to
John B

After seeing some later posts, I realize that what we have is not what you are looking for. It is gas but is only the top burners, not the cooktop/oven combo.

Reply to
Bob Haar