"drop-in" gas range sought

Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"

30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at the kitchen. Gas is already there.
Reply to
John B

Sears, Lowes, Home Cheapo

Reply to
Noon-Air

On 2/15/2005 11:12 AM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo? I have a Sears Kenmore (made by Roper) gas range/oven combo that is 30" wide. It's about 20 years old.

Reply to
willshak

I think you want to look for a "slide in" range. Most everyone makes one. I have a dual fuel Jenn Air, but I know it comes in all gas. Here are some examples:

Vox Humana

Range/oven combo.

"willshak" wrote

Reply to
John B

No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Reply to
John B

Not that simple if you check. Electric, yes, but gas, no. The OP may have to change cabinets and go to a slide in or free standing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

Reply to
George

Start w/ manufacturers' -- may have to have one ordered rather than find in stock and probably not at the Borg...but, I don't know specifically whether there's one specifically like what you have now or not, but that's where I'd start.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Dimitri

AMANA ACF3325AW WHITE GAS RANGE

5.1 CUBIC FEET

Model ACF3325A Self Clean Gas Range

5.1 cu. ft. Self-Cleaning Oven with Automatic Latch Upswept Cooktop Design Industry Exclusive Upfront Simmer Burner Bar Broiling System Delay Bake and Delay Self-Clean Two Oven Racks with Six Positions Porcelain Broiler Pan and Grid Auto/Manual Interior Oven Light Removable Full-Width Storage Drawer Removable Counterbalanced Glass Oven Door Knob Range Control with clock/timer Exclusive High Performance Sealed Gas Burners: 12,000 BTU 9,700 BTU (2) 5,000 BTU Cast Iron Burner Grates Extra Extra Large Viewing Window Dimensions inches Height 46 1/2'' Width 30'' Depth 28 1/4''

Colors: White on White ACF3325AW Black on Black ACF3325AB Bisque on Bisque ACF3325AC Stainless Steel ACF3325AS

Reply to
Dimitri

Probably is their cabinet configuration. The slide in and drop in look very similar on the top, but a slide in sits on the floor and the drop in depends on the floor of the cabinets for support. If they currently have a drop in and were to replace it with a slide in they would have to cut out the cabinet base where the range goes. John

Reply to
John

Edwin's intuition, as is the case so often, is right on target. And I am opposed to such modifications.

Reply to
John B

Thank you for your reply. I looked at your recommendation. That's a "free standing" range.

Reply to
John B

Reply to
John B

Almost fully correct. As the drop-in electric range, whose detailed dimensional drawing I have examined, specifies a height of only about 30", this precludes its resting on the floor. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
John B

Have you looked into having the existing range refurbished?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Good point. That was my first position. However, I am relying on others who claim that the repair parts are unavailable. But thank you for reminding me of this concept. The thermostat is shot. I put a thermometer in the oven and watched it go well beyond the temperature prescribed at the user interface. The oven burner doesn't always light promptly, giving fear of explosion. The top needs a paint job.

Reply to
John B

blocks down

In a different thread there's a company called Bluestar, which calls its products "cooktops." Check out their website--several sizes and options. Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

-aem

Reply to
aem

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there. They all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial kitchen, or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment. There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK. "aem" wrote

No, there is no room for this.

Reply to
John B

there. They

Not sure where you looked, but those shown here are clearly drop-ins, not free standing:

I think they are expensive, though.

-aem

Reply to
aem