Drop Ceiling Cost for my almost finished basement

I've nearly completed my basement. I did all the insulation, stud walls, drywall, etc myself but now it is time for the ceiling. I'm going with a drop ceiling b/c I need access in many places. I have a "Friend", more of a guy I know who does drop ceilings. He is going to do the ceiling for me but I have no idea how much it will cost. I have told him I want the least expensive route, not worried about appearance too much.

1) Can anyone tell me what it should cost, minus labor b/c he should be giving me a deal on that 2) Would this be a per square foot cost or overall cost? Thanks in advance!
Reply to
kwaller1

$327.86 Overall cost.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Why don't you DIY as well? It's not that difficult. If you did the other stuffs, I am sure you can do it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I completely forgot to mention that it is a 1000 sqft area. Well, I can't do it myself b/c I'm having knee surgery after Christmas and it needs completed b/c my wife is having a baby and we need the space. Otherwise, I'd do it myself.

T> > I've nearly completed my basement. I did all the insulation, stud

Reply to
kwaller1

Reply to
buffalobill

  1. I would presume he could/would if you would only ask.
1a. Why should someone who is just "a guy I know" do this for no labor cost? What have you done for him (or are going to do for him)? Just because you know somebody, that's no reason to think you can take advantage of that to obtain free labor, particularly if this is his occupation, not just a hobby or similar. What time he's spending on your job is taking away from his time to be doing something that is paying...
  1. See (1).
Reply to
dpb

Materials, grid and tile, will run around a $1 / SF unless you get into fancy stuff. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

I gave the guy a dog to give to his daughter for Christmas, thats why he'll be giving me a deal. Man, you're are a jerk but thanks for taking the time to reply.

dpb wrote:

Reply to
kwaller1

Reply to
kwaller1

If you are paying for the labor suck it up and spend a bit more for commercial T-Bar and the flexible plastic faced tiles. The cheap light weight T-Bar is a PITA to install.

Reply to
jimmy

I have no idea what it shoudl cost, but should not let him start without knowing the full price, and have a contract in writing.

If you told him that appearance doesn't worry you too much, that could be an open door to not just buying ceiling pieces which aren't as pretty as some others, but not trimming around pipes, corners, and even trimming but doing a hatchet job. Have you seen any other ceilings he's done? It doesn't require that he be planning to cheat you. He may have low standards or an overblown view of his capabilities. I know I have those.

Rereading, I assume you told him what you did to help him price things, not because you were not going to do what i say above.

I agree with the other guy. I think sheetrock would be far more difficult than the ceiling, where everything is measureable, and only small losses are incurred if some part has to be redone. (You cut wrong or you measured wrong.)

Why not postpone the surgery, postpone Christmas, or postpone the baby? You can have a baby without having a ceiling. Nothing about putting in the ceiling will endanger the baby. You can even do the cutting outside when spring comes.

Reply to
mm

You're, of course, welcome... :)

Nothing in previous post indicated any reason other than he was "a guy I know" nor that there was anything but an attempt to "get by on the cheap" on that basis. If you've lurked a.h.r for a while, you will know of the multitude of stories of similar ilk that start of w/ a friend or acquaintance helping that turn out sour (at best)...

But, frankly I still don't understand why the projected cost wouldn't have been part of the original conversation(s) and so to then come to a newsgroup and ask for outside information to verify (apparently) one is getting a good deal seems at least superficially like an to undercut to have information to use against the fella'. If not, good...

Reply to
dpb

I had planned on doing a drywall ceiling so I didn't think anything about including a dropped ceiling in my original plans. I came across this guy at work when he said he was looking for a puppy and we got to talking and then he said he did drop ceilings. I said, hey, that's perfect. We didn't really discuss what it would cost b/c I said I'd just buy the matierals. I'd like to give him something for his work so I'm just working up a budget. I'm not trying to verify that I'm getting a good deal, just trying to see what it will cost. No reason to be trying to undercut anyone. Clearly, you're very knowledgable about this stuff based on your other postings around these boards so I'd love to have your help rather than flaming. That's all. I will certainly try to be more clear when posting next time.

dpb wrote:

Reply to
kwaller1

Good to know, I'll do that. This guy is helping me out so I don't want to make his life worse! : )

snipped-for-privacy@the.sh> On 23 Dec 2006 19:01:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
kwaller1

All very useful info, thank you. But, I especially like the "postpone the baby" part. My wife will love that plan. No, we have a pretty small home so I really want to have this done to give our family room to grow. That's the only reason for wanting it done now rather than later.

mm wrote:

Reply to
kwaller1