Driveway solar-Powered Lights ?

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
Regarding those solar powered small lamps that are useful for outlining a driveway: HD and Lowe's has them from several mfg's; usually in packs of 6 or 8 for around $ 30 or so.
Do they really work ? After a summer day soaking up sunlight, will they illuminate all evening ? Reasonably bright ?
Live in New England. What happens in the winter with considerably less sunlight ?
How do they actually work ? Just by using a solar cell to charge a capacitor, or... ?
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

I don't think you will be satisfied with the amount of light they give off. Think they are just meant to mark the boundaries not give off any significant architectural benefit. Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Yes, though the batties they require are lithium so cost a bit more. replace them annually.

Depends on what you need. They normally last til sunlight comes back but dimmer come early morning. They are enough to see the driveway and walk along a sidewalk. This isnt a main streetlight level light, but a dimmer addition for safety.
For 30$ for 8 of them, we find them useful.

Here, with fewer leaves to block the light, they work a bit better.

They charge a little battery inside that you get. AA cell type, lithium if i recall. Once one goes dead (doesnt light at night) first put it in full light for a day and see if it lights that night, and if not, replace battery.
I got a set almost 2 years ago. All still work fine though most have had a battery replaced.

Most don't do well in the Chicago area in the 5 shortest day months, They only last a few hours.

Lithium? They are Ni-Cads or NIMH. Construction is cheap but they do work as far as outlining the drive. Light output is about out half that of a candle. Full recharge can occur in one sunny day and they can stay lit as long as 15 hours

Ah yes, thank you. I mis-remembered. I don't have to change them out that often so when I do, I just look at them and get more of same type.

Thats what we find. I like that we can just pull them out when cutting grass, trimming etc, then put'em back in. I'd say I get about equal to a candle in early evening? Enough to line a driveway and make a little light at the side of the house where the garbage cans are. By morning, they arent as bright.
I agree with the others that 'you get what you pay for'. If you are expecting a great deal of light and a metal post, these arent it. For 30$, we got 1 dozen lights. I believe 2 have broken since?

Ohhhhh, you mean runway lights :-)

Red Green wrote:

I bought some of them two years ago and a) the solar cells are already hazed over b) they're all at cockeyed angles. the stakes are made of plastic that is softer than the ground in my yard.
it's a great idea, but the quality isn't there
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

*Candles put out more light.

Even more when you light 'em.

charge a battery actually. They provide light at night for a few hours.

Only in the sense that you can see them. If you are expecting those solar lights to throw enough light to illuminate a path you will be severly disappointed.

I don't have a set, but a friend does. Unless you suffer from night blindness, they do provide enough light to illuminate a path.
And of course, 20% of the lights have already crapped out after about a year of operation.

Yes. Low quality and the batteries not being the best and also likely fully discharged each night don't seem to last long; especially in Northern climates with shorter days during winter. Also Low temperatures reduce battery capacity. They really don't give much more than the ambient light at night and for anything other than a little foot-way or path marker, really don't see the point. My son in law had package of three (or maybe six) little over year ago and at least two are now non-operational. The little short plastic spike that many have is useless, frost just pushes them out of the ground and/or they fall over. Pretty much of toy IMHO.

Same thing that happens in bright light and long days. Nothing

I have a set of them. To get the best bang for the buck, get your $30 in $1 bills. Tack the bill on a stick and burn them. You'll not only get more light, they will last longer than the solar lights.
I may put in a set of the low voltage lights. Brighter and they actually work.
wrote in message

JUNK...Low voltage is the answer....
benick wrote:

And line voltage is the real answer when the typically low grade LV fixtures fail after a few years.

junk is junk. The voltage doesn't matter, except that junk at high voltage will provide a more impressive light show as its connections corrode and the contact temperatures rise.
AZ Nomad wrote:

True, however there are many junk LV landscape lights on the market and relatively few quality LV landscape lights. For the line voltage landscape lights there are few junk units and many quality units on the market.