Driveway Sealing

I live in central NJ and we have a driveway that is 250 feet long, curved and sloping up from the street to the house. It was a gravel/stone top when we bought the house and we had it asphalted 3 years ago as soon as we moved in. Recently I noticed some small hairline cracks here and there and some loose asphalt/stones coming off the surface.

I have read from some people that you should not sealcoat driveway, but I think time has come for me to do it or get it done. My question is what is the best naterial, tools and time of the year to apply it. Is it possible for me to do it with help from handyman. What surface preparation would be necessary? Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Harry

Reply to
harry manka

question

comments.

Reply to
Des Perado

Early fall is generally the time to do it. Cool but not cold weather helps, and the stuff is on sale then.

You want to brush clean off the surface of dirt and debris, and get rid of any small particles in the cracks. An air blow gun nozzle is perfect for this.

You'll need a good paddle or mixer to mix up a 5 gal bucket worth of goopy tarry stuff.

Then get some of the brush squeegee applicators, and have at it. The hardest part of it is handling the 5 gallon buckets, they are heavy, and you'll need a lot of them.

Reply to
John Hines