Driveway Sealer Question

I have a home built around the 1950's that originally had a gravel driveway. Subsequent owners have added to the home, the most recent addition was a 2 stall garage. When the garage was added, the homeowner cement paved about 1/2 the driveway and asphalted the rest (about 15ft) to the sidewalk.

The cement portion of the driveway is in pretty good condition, needs some minor patching but is still pretty solid. The asphalt portion of the driveway looks terrible, the asphalt is cracked & has settled unevenly. The settling has apparently stopped so I should be able to clean and patch the asphalt without too much worry of more settling.

My question is, I was planning on using a driveway sealer on the asphalt portion after patching it. Can I use it on the cement portion to give the driveway an even look?

Thanks for your replies!

Matty

Reply to
Matty

I've seen it done but have no idea how durable it is. . Consider though, it is not easily reversed if you want to tear out the existing asphalt and replace it with concrete.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Spend your money on new asphalt or new concrete. Patching and sealing deterioration from age is cost-ineffective. I know you want to believe that is all it needs, but it doesn't work.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

That's what I was thinking too, especially since the existing asphalt is in bad shape. Sealer is meant to provide a nice finish and give some protection to the asphalt. If it's already bady deteriorated, cracking, heaving, alligatored, etc, sealer isn't going to fix it.

Reply to
Chet Hayes