Driveway road mirror (request ideas for a cheap workable mirror)

Page 4 of 4

Dude... If you want to bolt it to the guard rail you are going to have to get permission to do that and it will have to be one of the expensive ones that has DOT approval, the filing fee for the request will be more than $25...
Figure out a way to turn the cars around up near your house...
~~ Evan

Boy, are you going about this the long-way-around. See my other reply.
--
Tegger

On 1/24/2012 10:25 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:

I've installed this type mirror for people in stores and driveways.
http://www.mirrorpros.com/convex-mirror.htm
TDD

So... what...? -----
- gpsman
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 05:14:02 -0800, gpsman wrote:

That's why it has to be cheap (about $25) because it's easy enough to stop and there's almost never crossing traffic.
Still, what's so very wrong with looking for a cheap long bendable mirror material that can be bolted to the guardrail on the curve across from the driveway entrance to the road?

I think that's somewhat subjective.
1. Stopping is free, and requires virtually no effort. 2. Stopping is smart, and being that smart requires virtually no effort. 3. I don't think citizens are permitted by any state to attach anything to a guardrail or any other public property/ROW. 4. Something like that has the possibility of adverse unintended consequences, like blinding/confusing approaching motorists at night. 5. In the event of a crash, day or night, your mirror might be cited and/or accepted as a contributing factor, whether or not it in fact is.
Many people, including "officials", are convinced crashes can be caused by red light cameras, fog, icy roads, ad infinitum, despite the fact that most motorists manage to not crash in the identical circumstances, at the same place and time.
Other than that, and your problem being imaginary, nothing. -----
- gpsman

It isnt cowardly to stop. Somebody has to. But you might see if the county or city can help you by putting a Slow sign or speed bumps on the road that is most likely to hide arriving traffic.
The mirror is not a bad idea unless local governmental rules preclude it. We had one at the turnoff to our house in Norway, where the roads were narrow, sided by vertical granite cuts, and had a lot of sharp turns and switchbacks.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:29:46 -0600, hls wrote:

Of all the suggestions, the convex mirror seems best: a) Stopping & looking works fine - but a mirror would be better b) Creating a turnabout is infeasible (and maybe wouldn't work anyway)
The only bad thing is that the mirrors are expensive (at about $100 when mounting is considered).
Here are some pictures of the situation taken this afternoon in the fog:

I think the $100 mirror is the only viable option. Sigh. I was hoping to find a cheaper substance that mounted with just a bolt into a tree or something.

Your problem there is the incline of the driveway... Remove some of the brush to make looking over in that direction easier...
No mirror will make entering the roadway from that driveway a safe foolproof operation... Just accept the fact that the only safe way to drive out of that driveway is to stop and look before pulling out...
Maybe even putting up a sign on your property indicating that to visitors would be a good thing...
~~ Evan

I gave you a link to a $27 convex mirror.
--
Tegger

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 01:40:46 +0000, Tegger wrote:

I know. But it was a foot wide (which is mighty small): "$27 for a 12" with no backing"
Still, it's in the budget range so I appreciate the find.
In the end, I think I'll go with this, however small. If I'm lucky, I'll nail it to a tree. Folks out here are mighty friendly - it's the transients that steal stuff - so I shouldn't have a problem nailing the mirror on a tree. That keeps the costs down.
I've already seen the posts about not putting a post in the guardrail 'control zone' and the posts about modifying the guardrail - so both those ideas are off the table now due to those complications.
The only option left, given the constraints, are the 12 inch convex mirror nailed to a tree. If/when I do this, I'll post a picture of the results!
But, the other posts
On 1/26/2012 21:08, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Being a computer nerd I would go with the camera/tablet solution.
Cheap wireless ip cam that you can access with any sort of portable through your home lan.
Place the cam appropriately, maybe weather enclosure. Make it hard to see from road so you lessen the theft problem.

I would cut down the brush (obstructions) that limit your view until you are at the very crest of your driveway at the road...
In the long run, that solution is free (other than taking up your time), can not be stolen or damaged and if it doesn't work you can always revisit the mirror issue later on...
~~ Evan

Irrelevant.
Irrelevant.
Irrelevant.