Driveway road mirror (request ideas for a cheap workable mirror)

Page 3 of 4

I don't think so. The OP only implied its purpose; avoiding stopping at the end of the driveway before entering the roadway.
Surely the purpose of some similar mirrors are related to improving "safety" of blind approaches, not merely avoiding stopping. -----
- gpsman

In my area of the country it is required for a motor vehicle operator to stop to check for traffic before entering any roadway irregardless of whether or not the driveway or parking lot is equipped and marked with a stop sign...
The OP's interest in installing a mirror would make no difference in my area, he would still have to stop even if he could see no cars were coming before reaching the boundary edge of the roadway...
~~ Evan
********** The law, and what people actually will do, are two different things. If people followed the laws, I think we would have fewer accidents but when they dont, or wont, maybe a mirror would help **********
The OP's interest in installing a mirror would make no difference in my area, he would still have to stop even if he could see no cars were coming before reaching the boundary edge of the roadway...
*********** See above...Maybe he SHOULD stop but he might not HAVE TO stop ***********
~~ Evan
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:53:36 -0500, Tony Miklos wrote:

At first I thought the strip of cheap reflective mirror on the guardrail was the best idea - but - people clearly showed it was not (due mostly to legal ramifications).
So, I do agree ... there is 'no solution' that fits my original requirement (cheap) ... but the parabolic mirror (which in the end, with posts, will cost about $100 since the cheaper 12" mirror is probably too small).
I'll try to see if the town will put it in (in which case a two-foot mirror would be fine) ... but otherwise, I'll keep searching for a cheaper two-foot mirror & post.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:08:28 -0800, Evan wrote:

I'm sorry. It was my fault for hastily writing the original post without fully describing the situation.
I'll snap a photo in the daylight to better show the situation!
thanks!
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:31:49 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Here are some photos I just took in the early afternoon today. (It's foggy outside but these are typical conditions for the winter.)
Here is the view as I drive down the driveway just as I turn off the roadway:

And here is the view from a bit further back on the road, showing there is really no room for a turnout (as the fence is the property line):

great photos.
The fence line probably has an easement for an access road, which would allow you to widen the access making your driveway then intercept the main road at a right angle, making it much safer!, BUT it looks like there is no land passed the fence, like a drop off!
From looking at those photos, I'd say go for the 4 by 8 sheet of mirror, make certain no sun angle can blind a driver, and mount any place you want, you need some safety there. [Just in case, put your contact info on the mirror, if you want them to contact you BEFORE they remove anything. I think you can make up something like, "Do NOT remove, under penalty of law per statute ## {state some code number referring to why it is alright to break a law for safety.} and even write in second language if appropriate.]

Steve:
Which states are that, once you are in the suburbs/city many driveways are only one or two car lengths long and therefore can not provide enough room to turn the vehicle around in...
~~ Evan
Chuck Banshee wrote:

Back into your driveway. For a mirror you can usually buy the big convex ones reasonable from outfits that sell security products or warehouse equipment. Just mount it across from the driveway up so lights don't hit it and plows can't wipe it out. Should allow you to see both ways enough to determine if something is coming.
--
Steve W.

Hear, hear.
Back your car into the driveway/garage while it's an easy thing to do.
Then your all set for view coming out, and better yet, in an emergency it's straight out.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:40:34 -0800, Robert Macy wrote:

This is the third person to suggest backing in the driveway so I apologize for not stating that this would be more work (over time) than just building a new driveway would.
The driveway is hundreds of feet long, hilly, curved, mostly gravel, unlit, and not at all conducive to backing up into.
All I'm looking for is a cheap mirror source. About $25 or so, because anything worth more than that gets stolen around here. I would just like to find a strip of mirror to bolt to the guardrail on the road.

Ok you drive straight in to come home, then you back ALL the way out?
What's the difference of backing all the way IN, then driving forward all the way out? Something got missed in the interpretation of the car's direction.
Do you drive forward all the way in, turn car around at house, drive forward all the way out? And still can't see at the corner?
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:12:39 -0800, Robert Macy wrote:

I'm very sorry but I just don't understand how backing out will help at all. Maybe I'm missing what advantage backing out is. Seems to me that would only make things worse. But maybe I'm missing an important point.
Here is what an oncoming driver on the road would see as they pass the driveway:
Note: In this picture, I'd be coming out to the left.
Here is what I would see as I drive up the driveway toward the road:
Note: In this picture, oncoming traffic would be to my right.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:21:15 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee

A Google overhead would be nice.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 01:07:11 -0500, Steve W. wrote:

The problem is the expense (so far) of the convex mirrors.
I'm looking at a cheap material ($25 or so) that can simply be bolted to the guardrail. If someone steals it, it's not worth a lot, so that's why I don't want to put anything more expensive up.

I'm thinking of bolting it to the guardrail on the street just across from the driveway. For that, a strip about a foot wide and as long as is still cheap might work (if the angles are right).
There are no plows out here - but plenty of thieves so it would need to be so cheap nobody would want to steal it.

I don't really want to say it, but Google is your friend. I found this by searching the terms "traffic safety miror". <http://www.mirrorpros.com/convex-mirror.htm
$27 for a 12" with no backing. Perfectly adequate for this issue.
I would not advise mounting the mirror to the guardrail, since it will quickly get filthy with road splash, and will probably get damaged as well.
Just do what's done by those in the hilly area near me: mount it to a pole or tree /behind/ the guardrail. Hopefully your town won't bitch that your mirror is on the road-allowance.
And speaking of road-allowance, have you tried simply calling your town councilman? You might be able to score a FREE mirror, since it's a traffic- safety issue, the driveway's legal, /they/ made the road, and the mirror would need to be on the road-allowance anyway.
--
Tegger

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 23:50:35 +0000, Tegger wrote:

I have never contacted a town councilman or a town anything. I will call the town tomorrow to see whom it would be that I would ask for the mirror.
Obviously, if 'they' put it up, that's the BEST situation.
I'll let you know what they say.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 04:25:11 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee

Some of the people arround here have round convex mirrors 18 or 24 inches in diameter, often on a tree just across from their driveway.
Calysta for First Tramp?

Mirrors like this are very common in a lot of mountain towns where they have problems like yours but with much greater traffic flow. Dont have a clue what you call the things, maybe traffic mirrors.
Jimmie
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 05:33:14 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:

Where the government puts them in, they can afford the $100 Grainger price tag (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/safety-and-security-mirrors/ traffic-safety/safety/ecatalog/N-b55) - but for what I'm looking for, it has to be in the $25 range, including mounting.
So, IDEAS for alternative sources are what are best here (looks are secondary).
The best bet, so far, is a strip of 1/8" thick 1-foot wide by a few feet long mirror that I can bolt to the curved guardrail.
The angles may be all wrong though - so - it would have to be cheap to be worth the effort and risk of it not working at all.
So far, the cheapest we can find at any decent length is this link from Steve Barker: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid#752
PN 42461 Clear Mirror Sheet,24"x48"x1/8", $61.12
Perhaps that can be sliced in half (to 12" widths) bolted to 8 foot of the guard rail curve.
STill, $61 is pretty steep for what the objective is so that's why it's so hard to find a cheap source for shiny plastic sheets.