Driveway road mirror (request ideas for a cheap workable mirror)

Page 1 of 4
My driveway angles at a sharp angle to an infrequently used road such that I almost never have to even look to see if there's traffic (because there's only traffic about once a month at the time I'm entering the road).
Still, that's not a safety margin so I have to stop all the time (of course).
One thing a friend suggested is making a reflective roadside mirror out of 'something'.
Have you guys any ideas to bump me to the next stage on this idea of adding a mirror at the end of my driveway to see traffic (and, I guess, for the traffic to see me)?
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 04:25:11 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee

It all seems like a bad idea to me. Just keep doing what you've been doing.
--Vic
On 1/24/2012 10:25 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:

you can buy an "acrylic" mirror in about any size you want. I worked at a spa factory and we hung one over the vacuum forming process so customers could watch their shell being "pulled". It was 4'x8'. Check with your local plexiglas/lexan dealer. you could probably even bend it convex for a wider angle view.
--
Steve Barker
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:14:48 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:

I've never heard of a 'local plexiglas/lexan dealer' but I can google for that to see what I find.
Since there is a guardrail on the road curve, a long sheet of 'something' that is attached to the guardrail might be perfect.
It would allow the infrequent drivers on the road to see me and for me to see them.
On 1/24/2012 10:25 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid#752
--
Steve Barker
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:16:22 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:

That's the kind of ideas that help everyone as price is an important consideration for something here that isn't absolutely necessary.
Given there is a guardrail along the curve where the road and driveway meet, the cheapest alternative solution, might be one of the following: * PN 45613 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/8"Thick), $15.28 * PN 45620 Clear Mirror Sheet,12"x24" (x1/4"Thick), $24.92
I wonder (aloud) if it will work, bolted to the guardrail ...
On 1/25/2012 1:53 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:

until it gets filthicated.
--
Steve Barker

No, you would never even desire to learn the process you would have to gio through to attach something to a government owned guard rail -- i.e. you need engineering drawings done, traffic studies done, looking at buying approved materials with DOT ratings, going before a committee for approval, etc... If you do attach something to the guard rail without permission you will find that it will be mysteriously gone one day and zero sympathy about it when you call to find out what happened to it...
Learn how to back into your driveway or widen it to allow you to turn your vehicles around before stopping to pull onto the road way...
~~ Evan
On 1/25/2012 4:30 PM, Evan wrote:

From what he said I take it that he pulls out of the driveway in forward as things are, and there is still a blind spot. I don't see (but I lost a few posts) anywhere that he says he now backs out of the drive. How is backing in going to help if he is already pulling out forward?

It won't... His problems won't be solved by a mirror, he needs to negotiate the removal of some of the obstructions which sound like trees in his specific case... But OP's here never seem to actually describe the situation and location of the problem, leaving out key information, instead, they describe some Rube Goldberg device or solution and ask if it could work... A picture of the driveway in question would have been ideal...
Until well into this thread it was not disclosed that the driveway in question was hundreds of feet long and the entrance to the lost woods/hidden valley... It could have been two car lengths long for all anyone knew...
On 1/26/2012 4:06 AM, Evan wrote:

Still no reason to assume he was backing out of the driveway. And it's funny that you know the mirror won't work, there are many thousands of them in use for the same exact purpose, I suppose none of them work either?
wrote: A picture of the driveway in question would have been ideal... **********************
Not easily done in a text only group.

If you don't know how to post a picture on a photo hosting site and then type the link here in a text only group, then turn off your computer and stop using the internet...
~~ Evan

If you don't know how to post a picture on a photo hosting site and then type the link here in a text only group, then turn off your computer and stop using the internet...
~~ Evan -----------------------------------------------------------
Wow, they certainly do grow them stupid in "Provi-DENSE".
Evan wrote:

You think? 10-year-olds can do many things we can and many I can't (using game consoles for ex - I've never ever used one). But, scusi, using Usenet, reading headers, knowing what an IP address is, and evenmore doing ARIN searches, is *not* what *any* 10-year-old can do. There might be some who can, but I'd guesstimate it at one in 10,000.

I think that your ideas as to what goes on in education these days is lacking... Tracing an IP address in a technology class is an easy way to tie in with other subjects across the curriculum like geography and world studies using actual real information rather than cheesy fake situations out of a textbook...
Your guesstimate is flat out wrong, kids that young have been learning things like HTML and using the internet at levels beyond what *MOST* adults can comprehend for years... Of course if you are from an illiterate region with poorly funded school systems then perhaps this is not what your young people experience...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

V'ir erdhrfgrq abguvat, ng yrnfg GEL gb yrnea gb erpbtavmr gur qvfgvapgvba orgjrra gur qrpynengvir, vzcrengvir naq vagreebtngvir. Naq, ol nyy zrnaf, qb nyfb pbagvahr gb cergragvbhfyl naq fhcrepvyvbhfyl yrpgher zr nf gb ubj V pbhyq unir orra (unq gur fcrpvsvpf orra ragveryl qvssrerag) jebat orsber furrcvfuyl pbaprqvat gung V nz bs pbhefr pbeerpg, fb irel ragregnvavat naq qrrcyl nccerpvngrq.
Ohg qrfcvgr lbhe cbzcbhf snhk cnf: "Vs lbh qba'g xabj ubj gb cbfg n cvpgher ba n cubgb ubfgvat fvgr naq gura glcr gur yvax urer va n grkg bayl tebhc, gura ghea bss lbhe pbzchgre naq fgbc hfvat gur vagrearg..", gur snpg bs gur znggre vf gung lbh fubhyqa'g or va gur yrnfg fhecevfrq gb qvfpbire gung V, ng yrnfg nf yvxryl nf abg, unir npghnyyl sbetbggra zber nobhg pbzchgre naq flfgrz fpvraprf guna lbh'yy rvgure rire xabj be qrirybc gur jurerjvguny gb pbzceruraq. (Naq nyybj zr gb cerrzcgviryl nffher lbh gung tvira lbhe pbzvpnyyl evfvoyr fgngrzrag, fhpu n punetr vf arvgure ulcbpevgvpny abe vebavp). Nf lbh'ir nyernql fb nzcyl qrzbafgengrq, rira gur zbfg boivbhf bs vasreraprf jbhyq frrz gb rnfvyl fhecnff lbhe qrqhpgvir novyvgvrf; erf vcfn ybdhvghe.
Gb ervgrengr, gurl pregnvayl qb tebj gurz fghcvq va EV.
Or, should the above prove too difficult for you:
I've requested nothing, at least TRY to learn to recognize the distinction between the declarative, imperative and interrogative. And, by all means, do also continue to pretentiously and superciliously lecture me as to how I could have been (had the specifics been entirely different) wrong before sheepishly conceding that I am of course correct, so very entertaining and deeply appreciated.
But despite your pompous faux pas: "If you don't know how to post a picture on a photo hosting site and then type the link here in a text only group, then turn off your computer and stop using the internet..", the fact of the matter is that you shouldn't be in the least surprised to discover that I, at least as likely as not, have actually forgotten more about computer and system sciences than you'll either ever know or develop the wherewithal to comprehend. (And allow me to preemptively assure you that given your comically risible statement, such a charge is neither hypocritical nor ironic). As you've already so amply demonstrated, even the most obvious of inferences would seem to easily surpass your deductive abilities; res ipsa loquitur.
To reiterate, they certainly do grow them stupid in RI.
While that makes compelling reading (especially the part about the buxom wench women and the high spirited highwaymen), I remind you there are ladies present! Avaast, ye knave! Cleanest up thy writing! Lest I be forced to drub thee.
I may even post the English translation I got from Babelfish, if requested.
[...]

And you if you have your Ph.D or other advanced degree in Computer Science and have become nothing more than a Usenet troll, I would say that is more damning evidence against all people who possess that level of education in the subject matter as opposed to your condemnation of people located in the same geographical area of the world where my VPN server happens to be located... located...
Why don't you read the thread posted by the idiot that wanted to drop a capacitor in a bathtub and try your own similar experiment...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

And IF my Aunt bore testicles, I'd refer to her as Uncle. But given that your post was a vacuous proposal/complaint in response to my jest, I respectfully submit that should you have a desire to locate the actual troll, I suggest you take a look in the general vicinity of the nearest mirror.

Again the obvious, save to anyone other than yourself, quite effectively escapes your conspicuously paralytic grasp.

Yet even more risible lecturing from a poseur that undoubtedly couldn't, this time, begin to describe the simple distinction between a Norton and Thevenin equivalent circuit. You're hilarious, you should seriously consider taking that pathetically feeble Dr. Irwin Corey-esque imitative routine on the road.