Driveway Repair

I have received a couple of estimates to repair my driveway one for $2250.00 was to rip out the driveway completely and replace it new, the other $1400.00 to fill and prep what is there and to cap with a new layer of asphalt and cut in where the driveway meets the garage and sidewalk. Is it worth the extra money to have the whole driveway replaced or is the cap just as good.
Thanks
Joe
Get it new. Then if there are issues the contracor cant blame the existingdriveway.
Joe wrote:

Get it new. Then if there are issues the contracor cant blame the existingdriveway.
Joe wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

I agree. For the extra money, I think it's well worth it. And the other thing we have no idea of knowing is what condition the existing one is in, what caused it to fail, etc. For example, if it failed due to an improper compacted base, then going over what's there is just going to fail again down the road.

!!!YES!!!
Provided the higher bid is tear out the old driveway and base and install new compacted base gravel choike etc thats the way to go.
if you pave over your old driveway it will crack and fail exactly like the existing one, the failure you see is really the base.......... topcoating failure will only help for a couple years.
around here some cheap pavers pave right over dirt with no base at all 2 years later the driveways are all cracks and plants growing in the voids...