driveway made of wet concrete bags

Please tell me why I should not try the following:
I have this idea of soaking concrete bags (wrapper and all) and laying them out our a drive way dig out to make paver like driveway.
Some time ago I left a few bags out in the rain and a week later was impressed at how hard that concrete was. With the right positioning, stain and possibly a tecture even - I think I can make it look like coral blocks. I think it will be hard enough to widthstand auto weight and traffic and I wont worry about cracking at the seams as the seams will be just that.
I think it will be easier and cheaper than mixing or getting a concrete truck and home depot will deliver right to the front.
What do you think??

That mixture in the bag still needs to be mixed into concrete to be durable, so if you want it to last, you would still need to empty the contents of each bag into a mixing tub, mix, and then pour back in the bag and place where you want it. If placed down dry and the whole thing just wet down, the resulting hard concrete looking globs will flake and flake until nothing is left.
IMHO - novel but bad idea
Interesting idea, but you would still need a foundation if you expected it to be stable, and I doubt if you will get the even wetting of the contents of the bag to allow the kind of strength it would need for the first delivery truck, which even if the bag would support it, would flip when a wheel hit an edge.
Of course you also have the problem of the expense. Delivered concrete in the quality needed for a drive is cheaper than bagged concrete.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

The kids must be out of school for the summer.
i think you should do it. right after your term at the state looney bin is up.
snipped-for-privacy@cyberpine.com wrote:

they do this when piling the bags of concrete next to a levee to stop the erosion of the levee bank... after they put the concrete bags down they just put the hose on them and let them stay there..... probably rock hard... but no one is going to drive a car over them..... i would hate to think of what your driveway would look like when it sets up... bet you would then have to pull this mess up and start over again... no one cares what the levee work looks like as long as it works and no it does not look like textured coral blocks........ it looks like old bags of concrete that need to be cleaned up.....

I think you should consult with Jeff Foxworthy.
Depending on what the trailer house looks like might be an improvement. Muff

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
In alt.home.repair on 26 Jul 2003 07:36:16 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@cyberpine.com posted:

They seem to think it won't work.
But I thought you'd be interested in the steel mill I used to work at. When they had to add 50 or 100 pounds of magnesium or something to a heat of molten steel, they would just throw the whole bag in. I think everyone reacts to that the first time they see it.

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

It won't. The reasons have already been pointed out by others. I won't bother repeating them.

And this is relevant to concrete exactly how?
On 26 Jul 2003 07:36:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cyberpine.com wrote:

It would probably work.
Two things to consider, though...
1. The bags are round at the sides. You'll have quite an open space on each side of the bags.
2. The paper itself will soon deteriorate over time.
3. It'll look like crap!
P.S. There are 3 kinds of people in the world...those who can count...and those who can't.
Have a nice week...
Trent

I've seen canal embankments and hill stabilization done that way down south. They don't use paper bags, though- they put the drymix in bags made of the black poly or nylon fabric stuff used for tree balls and such. Paper can blow out as the water is being applied, and usually has some waterproofing layers that would prevent even watering of the mix.
aem sends...