Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

Page 2 of 2

http://www.concretethinker.com/Papers.aspx?DocId=10
an interesting concept.......like a concrete sponge, not a 100% dense.
I assume it must have to be installed thicker than 100% dense concrete to have the same strength.
cheers Bob

There are "driveway blocks" that are 8" thick "honeycombs" that you can actually fill with topsoil and grow GRASS on. These drain very well if filled with crushed limestone or sharp sand. Drain like gravel, wear and clear like concrete. Weeds grow through like cheap asphalt.
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Andy writes: I don't know about asphalt, but 70 miles south of Dallas, Texas, a concrete driveway that is 4" thick with rebar on 1 foot centers is around $3.50 per square foot.
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Thats about what a properly done driveway cost here in NC too. A lot of homes were buit with about a 2 inch slab, no reinforcing material at all. You can get these for about $2.00 a square foot. They are guaranteed to start falling apart in about 4 years.My electric and water service cross beneath my drivway so when I rebuilt it I Installed a couple of PVC pipes beneath the driveway just in case they ever need maintenance.
Jimmie
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

If your contractor is used to doing public roads you won't be able to afford either.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Last time I checked up here in Ontario a cheap concrete driveway was twice the price of a good asphalt driveway - and even a cheap concrete will outlast a good asphalt.
Use air entrained high strength concrete with re-bar and expansion joints ever 12 feet max in all directions.
If you can get "grout" for the top inch or more it will cost more, but last virtually forever. The driveway my Dad had put in 30 years ago still looks like new - salt, winters, and all.
On Fri 10 Apr 2009 01:10:30p, told us...

Sounds like great construction, but probably overkill for where we live and our intended use. We don't have winter temperatures, or show or ice.
--
Wayne Boatwright

You CAN have concrete coloured.
On Fri 10 Apr 2009 01:10:58p, told us...

Yes, many people here in the southwest have colored concrete for their driveways, walks, and patios.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Never seen black concrete, or any real dark shades in any color. It'd have to be real dark to get any noticeable solar heating benefits. I suppose you could paint concrete with the asphalt sealing goop, but it probably wouldn't stick very well, and even on broom finish, it would make it slick.
Don't get me wrong- if up-front cost is no object, well-laid concrete is the clear winner. The snow-melt thing is just a side benefit that helps people like me take solace in being lower on the food chain. But with my sloped driveway (which are pretty common around here in spite of the flat terrain), it is an advantage.
-- aem sends...
On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:59:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Under those conditions 2" (compacted) of fine asphalt would do the job and be your cheapest alternative. 3 or 4 inches would be better, but you don't have winter or vegetation issues, yout base is solid, and your usage is light. If you plan on having heavy trucks on the driveway in future, go thicker.
On Fri 10 Apr 2009 01:21:54p, told us...

This sounds more like what I should do. Depending on costs, I might go with a thicker asphalt for durability, even though I don't really expect to have heavy vehicles on it.
Thanks!
--
Wayne Boatwright