Driveway Cost: Concrete vs. Blacktop

Page 1 of 2
In the area where we live both materials are acceptable. I haven't gotten any estimates yet, but we need to put in a new driveway where none existed before. Any idea of the approximate difference in cost between the two materials?
TIA
--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Can't tell you, but be sure to compare life cycle cost, not just up front cost. I expect concrete will be more upfront, with much longer life and lower maintenance.

It depends on the price of oil, cement, and local labor, right? Last time I looked (before the most recent spike/fall in oil prices), asphalt drives were being installed for about $2/sq ft, and concrete ones were easily double that. That was with minimal prep and no additional material.
I don't think that's going to mean a whole lot for you and your area. Best to call around and get some local estimates. Keep in mind that contractors can play games with the PSI of the cement and the depth of the asphalt, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Permit/inspection fees may apply if you are tying into a public road.

Clearly, you are... Who's on first?

I don't know.

No, he's on third.

Who's on third?

No, Whos on first.

I *don't* know.

I keep telling you - he's on third.

How is that?
On Sun 12 Apr 2009 05:40:28p, mm told us...

All I know is, somebody's way off baswe. :-)
--
Wayne Boatwright
I just don't understand why folks are in such a rush to pave the driveway.

I had 220 tons of road base put on mine. Still need a couple of 17 yard dumps to trim it up. I love mine.
Steve
John Gilmer wrote:

Gravel grows weeds, needs regarding due to shifting from traffic and you can't drive a regular (not all terrain) forklift on it.
on 4/7/2009 11:49 PM (ET) John Gilmer wrote the following:

had enough money to pave it. After a while, I had 2x12s laid down to get to the car doors.when the ground was wet. Gravel has to be added to regularly. It is also more difficult to remove snow from it. Can't use a plow nor snowblower.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Actually, you can use a snowblower on a gravel driveway. You have to drive over the first few inches of snow to get an even base pack, set the skids on the snowblower to keep it up a couple inches and then only clear down to the base pack.

BAD IDEA! All it takes is one piece of gravel to get mixed with snow say by a tire spinning, and it will get tossed a long way.
snow blower will toss snow 5 or 6 feet, a piece of gravel 20 thru whatever is around..... like a window:(

a old neighbor liked gravel driveways, but tired of mud and needing more gravel.
he had his dug out deep, 2 inches of low grade asphalt applied on a thin base, and covered it with a foot of gravel.
must of been 20 plus years ago still looks great today.

Ever mow the grass in the spring after having shoveled snow off a gravel drive all winter?
As for the runoff, there apparently is "pervious concrete" available which allows rainwater to enter the ground *through* the concrete; I find that intriguing but have yet to actually see any IRL or speak with anyone who has such a driveway installed, so I can't say whether that has any disadvantages relative to regular concrete or not.
nate