[SOLVED] Drive wheel frozen on self-propelled mower

My self-propelled mower's drive wheel on the right side froze up. It was working okay last week and now nada. I tried to take the wheel off the see if I could see anything and it wouldn't come off. Any suggestions for diagnosing and/or fixing it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hi, It ought to have a brand name and model no.?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yeah, I guess it should (grin). Craftsman 917.376654. Probably about 5 years or so old. The left wheel turns freely both under power and just pushing it around with the motor off. The right is stuck and as I said, I can't even get the wheel off to see if anything is stuck.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I tried that but I am not enough of an engineer to figure out where the problems are likely to be and then fix them. Heck I can't even figure out how to get the wheel OFF on that side, although it does come off nicely on the other.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hi, Zoom out the diagram and you'll seone nut is holding the wheel. If it is frozen stuck. Use penetrating oil , take time. Wheel puller may make it easy. Maybe the bearing is busted on that side of the wheel jamming the pinion. No ne is born engineer, we learn by doing/screwing things, LOL! Good luck.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I would bet that there is a broken or badly deformed tooth on the wheel, they used to be plastic while the driving gear from the transmission is usually metal, do the plastic gives first. Just pry the wheel off using brute force techniques, aka two large screw drivers on opposite sides of the wheel.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Tried both of those. I can't see the inside to tell you, but the other side was clean when I took it off. Nothing on the part that I can see on the frozen wheel do I would say doubtful.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Tried a combination of the two, one screwdriver being beaten on by the mallett and that worked. After I got it off, the inside was clean but the teeth stripped. Looks like the wheel froze, the gear chewed it up, and the made it hard to get off. Got it off, changed the wheel and it appears to working like new. Thanks for all of the assistance.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hi, TKU for coming back with good result. Now you are a junior lawn mower engineer. LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang