Drive way is rising up

Live in the chicagoland burbs.
Specifically where the recently new(5 years) drive way meets the garage concrete. The divider or filling (not sure what to call it) is in pretty bad shape. Looks to me like water is getting under the drive way and freezing. Has not cracked, just risen about 2 inches.
Is it difficult to replace this? Where would you find it?
Should go down when the frost melts, especially if you use your garage to park your car.
in message

Brent Bolin wrote:

Replace what? The concrete?
If so, break up and remove the old concrete, build a form, fill with rebar, and have concrete delivered. Easier said than done.
Or, wait until the concrete slab settles back down (after the winter) and replace / re-seal the areas where excessive water gets beneath the slab.

I'm talking about replacing the filler between the front edge of the driveway and where the garage concrete starts. I don't know what that's called. It is currently deteriorated and falling apart.
Brent Bolin wrote:

Okay. They've got those fibrous petroleum-impregnated expansion boards at Home Depot. Four-foot lengths, about $2.50. If you suspect water intrusion, though, go with a crack sealer type material.

But aren't those for use BEFORE the concrete is poured? I like polysufide sealers...expensive, but good.

Leave the expansion board in place. When Summer comes around, thawed/clean/trim/seal it with an asphalt liquid sealer. Pour along the expansion joint and on the expansion board.
Keeps the water out..

might be caulking, garage floors dont move much in comparison to driveway.
yeah wait till summer clean out old caulking and replace..........
on 3/4/2008 10:44 PM Brent Bolin said the following:

I have had the same problem for 23 years. I have a surface aquifer that runs under the driveway. The asphalt rises about 1" all along the length of the double door garage concrete apron. It's too cold to try to fix it in the winter, and in the summer it fixes itself, so I don't have to.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

another approach is cut driveway, install a underground drain, and run a line preferably to daylight, so it doesnt occur again
Water is very good at getting through almost any thing you try to seal it with. Freeze thaw and it will make just enough of a new crack to let more water back down again. The only solution is just like a home, provide a way for the water to get out of there. It is all about the foundation. Of course the alternative is to put the foundation down below the frost line, which likely the garage is but the drive is not.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit