Drive dump truck over lawn?

Page 2 of 2

*In addition to what others said, I would be concerned about underground utilities and sprinkler systems if those are in the designated path of the dump truck.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:d5185ccd-3ef4-4733-9996-26d4da4df48f@ 21g2000vbk.googlegroups.com:

Others mentioned the rut issue. No one mentioned what's under the lawn. Under no conditions run it over a septic system/leech field.
Red Green wrote: ...

Yeah, them leeches are real buggers this time of year... :)

Or tree roots. Avoid driving under the dripline of trees.
RicodJour wrote:

HUH!?

This is news to you...? http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/treecare/maintenance/construction_damage.html
Most of a tree's roots are near the surface. I still can't believe this is news to you. Are you joking?
RicodJour wrote:

Well i don't drive the trucks on the lawn often. AND i could really care less if i damage a damn tree root. JEEEEzeee.. Hell we put a new foundation under a house and cut several 4" roots CLEAN OFF and the tree is just fine. Not high on my priority list to worry about.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have done it in the past, but only over summer hardened clay soil, even then the truck(s) made some depressions and tore the grass up in sheets. Make sure there is nothing in the ground that can be crushed by the truck driving over it. Do not do this if the soil is filled and not virgin ground or if it has rained recently as you may have the responsibility of paying a tow truck to remove the original truck if it gets stuck. Hopefully the tow truck doesn't also get stuck or tear the place up.
Actually, 5 tons is nothing, having often relocated 10 to 12 ton loads by wheelbarrow. It all depends on how much you dislike real work.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, Use plywood sheets. I did that when drilling rig for water well came over my yard out at my cabin. it helped minimize tire ruts.

Since the plywood will be cracked, bent and otherwise useless afterwards, that can be quite an expensive method at todays plywood prices, even if the driver can keep on the sheets.

And you'll need three strips for the piggy-back forklift.
On Fri, 15 May 2009 06:08:32 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ever tried to fix dualie ruts? Believe me, you'd rather haul the rock. A driver got just slightly off our driveway and had to be towed out. We threw bags and bags of dirt at the ruts that were left, and it made little difference. What helped was time, lots of it.
On May 15, 8:08am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Follow some of the ideas posted here that seem apropos to your area. Overall, don't sweat the damage. Nature has a way of healing things, if you just ignore it. Freeze-thaw cycles, wet-dry cycles, all have the effect of leveling out irregularities. Right now I can see out my window the pristine lawn my neighbor has in the area where a couple of fully loaded ready-mix trucks delivered the concrete for his new garage floor. Give Nature a little help and let her do the rest.
Joe