Dripping kitchen faucet

Please be nice, y'all ;) The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic drip, which isn't good for my water bill (duh!) I know it's an easy remedy to fix with wrenches (no, I didn't type "wench"!). Problem is, I easily get "backwards" - OK, call me dyslexic, maybe?! To tighten the darn faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?
TIA and more. Yeah-yeah, I can look at Google and YouTube, but I'd rather ask here. Bicycle peddles are NOT righty-tighty ;P
Sky
PS. I know left from right - but don't take my "word" for it - just go the way I point! VBG!
PPS. I have the appropriate tools and know how to use them :>

It is the usual righty-tighty, but it is often a cartridge or cups that need replacing. I assume you have the proper kit since you did not ask what is needed.
Sky,
Right-handed threads are really common. To tighten them turn them clockwise. Your bonnet nuts are certainly righthanded. Note that the stems may not be since hot and cold taps turn in different directions.
Dave M.
On 10/16/14, 4:39 AM, Sky wrote:

In plumbing, it's righty-coldy, lefty-hotty. If you determine whether the drips are hot or cold, you'll know which to turn, and you won't need a wrench.
On 10/16/2014 4:39 AM, Sky wrote:

Some kitchen faucets use faucet washers, which can be replaced. Others use cartridges, or other technology. Do you have shut offs under the sink, or do you have to shut off the entire house?
The bicycles I've worked on, one pedal is right, other is left.
Please tell us more about your kitchen faucet. One handle or two? Any known brands?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
| Please be nice, y'all ;) The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic | drip, which isn't good for my water bill (duh!) I know it's an easy | remedy to fix with wrenches (no, I didn't type "wench"!). Problem is, I | easily get "backwards" - OK, call me dyslexic, maybe?! To tighten the | darn faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"? | | TIA and more. Yeah-yeah, I can look at Google and YouTube, but I'd | rather ask here. Bicycle peddles are NOT righty-tighty ;P | | Sky | | PS. I know left from right - but don't take my "word" for it - just go | the way I point! VBG! | | PPS. I have the appropriate tools and know how to use them :> |
Sky;3296592 Wrote: > The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic

Sky:
You didn't specify if the dripping faucet is a single handle faucet or a two handle faucet. The responses you got all seem to have assumed it's a two handle faucet, so I'll presume the same. Maybe clarify this point in your next response, and let us know who made the faucet. That is, is it a Moen, a Delta, an American Standard, a Waltec or who, if you can find the manufacturer's name on the faucet anywhere.
There are some statements in the responses you got that you might find confusing:
1. > Right-handed threads are really common. To tighten them turn them > clockwise. Your bonnet nuts are certainly righthanded. Note that the > stems may not be since hot and cold taps turn in different directions.
Right hand threads are "common"? Right hand threads are pretty well the standard. You can count the number of left hand threads you're likely to encounter in your life on the fingers of one hand. The fingers of two hands if you're a Maytag washing machine repairman. So far as I know, the only left hand thread you'll ever encounter in plumbing work is found on the trip lever of toilet tanks. So, when it comes to replacing a faucet cartridge, you always remove the cartridge by turning it counter clockwise when viewed from above, and installing it is the opposite; turn clockwise when viewed from above. So, righty-tighty, lefty loosy applies here too. But, and as mentioned, on a lot of faucets the knobs turn in opposite directions to allow water to flow or to shut the water off, but you still remove both hot and cold cartridges from the faucet by turning them counter clockwise when viewed from above.
2. > In plumbing, it's righty-coldy, lefty-hotty. If you determine whether

What's meant by that first statement is that on faucets, it's the left handle that controls the hot water and the right handle that controls the cold water. On a single lever faucet, moving the lever to the left controls the hot water and moving it to the right controls the cold water flow. The poster is saying that by feeling the temperature of the dripping water, you can tell whether it's the hot or cold water cartridge that's leaking. And, yes, you will need a wrench or some other tool to turn the hot or cold water cartridge to remove it from the faucet and fix the drip.
3. > Some kitchen faucets use faucet washers, which can be replaced. Others > use cartridges, or other technology.
So far as I know, the mechanism that turns the water on or off in ANY faucet is referred to as a "cartridge". Older faucets had cartridges that used a rubber disk (called a "washer") that moved toward or away from a bronze "seat" to control the water flow. Newer faucets use other methods of controlling the water flow, like the 1225 "CARTRIDGE" in Moen single lever faucets and the ceramic disk CARTRIDGE in American Standard faucets. So. it's not incorrect to refer to the control mechanism in any single or two handle faucet as a "cartridge" regardless of how it actually operates to control the water flow.
Hope this helps.
--
nestork

Sky wrote:> the way I point! VBG!

Hello, Then use the tool and figure it out. You learn by doing, not asking. Good luck.
Tony Hwang;3296689 Wrote: >

You learn by doing. But you avoid making mistakes and screwing things up by asking questions before doing.
--
nestork

'Oren[_2_ Wrote: > ;3296778']On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:21:53 +0200, nestork

Good to know that Ben Franklin was a DIY'er.
--
nestork

'Oren[_2_ Wrote: > ;3296840']

That's my understanding as well. Washington needed money and arms to fight off the English and he sent Benjamin Franklin as an emmisary to sweettalk the French into supporting the Colonies in their revolution. The French have had lots of wars with the British over the ages, and were willing to supply the colonies with arms to fight off the British, mostly just to annoy them. By all accounts, Benjamin Franklin was quite the ladies man. And, his being a well rounded scholar and scientist, he was an interesting person for anyone to talk to. Washington chose his emmisary well.
--
nestork

Someone somewhere told me to turn the faucet that drips on and off several times hard and rapidly. I do it about 30 or 40 times. Works for me.I have no idea why. This assumes no washers in the faucet that can be replaced.
On 10/17/2014 2:15 PM, KenK wrote:

Some faucet cartridges get sand and sediment in them.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Between the ages of 8 and 15, I was really annoyed that they called them right handed. Is the top of it going to the right, or the bottom of it, I would ask myself.
I finally got over that, but it's good that you use the term clockwise, which is much clearer. Really, it is. At least if someone is over 40. ;-)

micky wrote:

When I tell kids to skate in clockwise circles, they just stand there and blink.
On 10/18/2014 3:53 PM, No name wrote:

That took me a second.
That quick????
On 10/16/2014 3:39 AM, Sky wrote:

(snip)

(snip)
Er, my bad. I should have replied many days ago. My only excuse is I've been distracted. Many thanks and more, folks, for the helpful suggestions regarding the dripping faucet in my kitchen. I've saved them for future use and reference.
The kitchen faucet has two knobs (H&C), and it's quite old. Instead of messing with the hot water's loose knob and fittings, I decided to replace the entire faucet. Knock on wood, no drip-drips are predicted for the future of the kitchen sink :> Thanks again.
Sky
On 10/25/2014 8:09 PM, Sky wrote:

> no drip-drips are predicted

Did you predict the drip that happened last week?