Dripping hot water tank

I have a Quickflo Service Saver 40 gal hot water tank w/ a production date of 1995...everytime the tank heats water(like after a shower or running water for dishes) it leaks/drips like crazy. I empty a regular sized pail daily. The water is coming from the overflow pipe. This isn't normal, right? Is this a sign my heaters on its way out?

Reply to
Gntry

Do you hear any crackling or gurgling noises while the water is being heated?

Reply to
Bob

This is not the fault of the heater. You need a thermal expansion tank like:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"This is not the fault of the heater. You need a thermal expansion tank like: "

If it hasn't leaked for 10 years, but is only starting now, it's unlikely he needs an expansion tank. Only a small percentage of units have an expansion tank and work fine without it. It's far more likely the relief valve has just gone bad. They are simple and easy to replace, I'd start there. He should also be aware that at 11 years, if this is a gas fired unit, it's entering the zone where end of life can be expected. Depending on the location and what happens if it should start leaking from the tank, I'd consider replacement.

Reply to
trader4

I agree that he probably doesn't need an expansion tank, but if the relief valve is only going off some of the time, then it's probably working correctly and doing it's job. He probably has sediment or mineral deposits in the bottom of the tank. When the water is heated, it boils right away, and the relief goes off. Happens all the time in my area.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Gntry

If this is a gas or electric water heater, and the relief valve is only going off some of the time, and not all the time, then you probably have sediment or mineral deposits in the bottom of the tank. Heating the water that surrounds those deposits can make the water boil and the relief go off. Sometimes you can drain the tank, but if you can't, it may be time for a new water heater.

Reply to
Bob

I don't know that tank, but I also don't know what an overflow pipe is. Maybe you mean the pipe connected to the pressure/temperature valve. If so, the problem is that the valve is leaking. Not terribly uncommon. Replace it.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Pressure valves are cheap. Think about replacing the heater when water appears in the pan but doesn't come down the pressure release tube.

I am curious, is the pipe suppose to exit to the outside?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon