drip pan flashing for window

We are replacing a large 4'x5' window in our brick home. We have had several contractors in and some have said that at some point all windows will leak, and they suggest putting in a drip pan under the window. Others say that we don't need one and they won't install one. What are the thoughts out there on drip flashing under the window? Thanks JD

The window manufacturer will specify what is needed. Failure to follow the directions of the manufacturer may void the warranty.
That said, You could probably substitute one of several brands of flexible flashing (tape) for a metal flashing pan.
JK

I suppose they are right if stated just like that. But I'm almost 60, have lived in houses 100+ yrs old all my life, have installed a couple dozen windows in 3 different houses, and have never seen a window leak.

A pan? Or flashing? A pan holds water- flashing deflects it.

What does the manufacturer [who will be involved in warrantee work] say & what are your local codes? If you're in hurricane, tornado or monsoon country, then your needs are different than mine in the NE US.
Jim

FWIW, the JeldWen web site has window installation instructions that specify drain elements. We used the system they recommended except under a large sliding window where it was easier and neater to fabricate a copper pan. The idea seems to be that if condensation occurs inside, it has a route to the outside under the bottom of the window, and thus protects the underlying wood framing from rot. Over all, not that tedious to do.
Joe