drinking well water

20 years ago, I was driving around near Geneva and ended up in Evian, I think it was. When I saw a water fountain, I stopped to see what their water was like. It was fine but nothing special.
40 years ago, we were driving from Brussels to Prague and we saw on the map MarianBad (Marianske Lazne in Czech), a famous spa (there's a movie that makes reference to it). It was only 5 or 10 miles out of the way, so we went there. Totally by chance, instead of finding the entrance and parking in the lot, we ended up on the back boundary of the property, right by the spring house. Twenty or 30 people walking around. Everyone had china cups with built-in straws, also made of china --- they looked like big meerschaum pipes -- so that people could drink without tilting their heads back, so they could drink while walking without bumping into things.
A 10-year old showed us that we didn't have to go into the little spring house, which might have required a ticket, or the possession of one of those special cups, but instead we could get the same water from the stream only 5 or 10 feet from the spring house. We poured out the water in our canteens and filled them from the stream.
Once back in the car, we started to drink. It tasted terrrible. Full of some minerals (not sulphur). I like well water with minerals but something was terrible about this. Since it was a communist country, there were no stores all over the place, and we drove an hour before we could find another source of something to drink. I think that might have been a campground with normal well water or running water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari%C3%A1nsk%C3%A9_L%C3%A1zn%C4%9B It says they have high CO2 and iron content. Right, I remember that it was carbonated. Must have been the iron I didn't like. I'm sure glad we hadn't paid to stay at the spa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Year_at_Marienbad
On Fri, 01 May 2015 15:33:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It was the tv, but I may have been misled.

I only pay 1/400 of the cost of the water I use. Of course I also pay 1/400th of the cost of the water 399 other families use. But that all means that what I myself use has no effect on my water bill, and also, if the bill is itemized, like specifying a sewer charge, I never see it.
The upshot is that I can drink 800 gallons of water and only pay for 2. I guess that takes me about 3 years.

Mayayana wrote:

+1
One locally (central Florida) popular water (neighbors used to buy it) states right on the bottle, "Bottled from the Dallas, TX municipal water supply".
--

dadiOH
____________________________

In Florida bottled water is just a convenience, like in the car, on the boat and after a storm
On 04/30/2015 08:40 PM, micky wrote:

That explains a lot. I always figured there was something in the water.
micky wrote:

she needs to trace the lines and make sure that the kitchen sink is not treated/softened water. it should not be. drinking treated/softened water is not good for you (added salts or other minerals). there should be either a RO unit or an untreated line for drinking water or the plumber was on crack.
drinking RO water all the time isn't that good for a person either. your body needs minerals to keep the bones strong, if it doesn't get enough it will start pulling them from the bones.
well water that tastes a little like iron is better than nothing. those pitchers with the filters on them will take care of the off taste. i don't mind it so drink it untreated.
songbird

I've never heard this before.
Does anyone else agree with this?

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 11:56:20 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Where I grew up in the midwest it was standard practice to put the softener only on the hot water side. So your outside faucets would be hard (so the salt didn't kill the grass) and the cold side of your kitchen sink.
When I worked in a hospital we were told never to make coffee from the hot water side, because the salt in it could be unhealthy.
I don't know if they still do that. It's not common where I live on the East coast.
TimR wrote:

Softening water does not but salt in it. Sodium, yes; sodium chlorite, no.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 5/1/2015 3:35 PM, dadiOH wrote:

The nutritional/health requirement is based on sodium no matter what the anion is.

And, of course, the sodium chloride salt is 40% sodium, by weight.
That said, there is not enough sodium ions added by conditioning to have a health effect on anyone other than the most sodium constrained patients. Within the healthy adult guidelines of 2.5g/day, the 10s of milligrams of sodium in conditioned water is in the noise, unless you drink hundreds of gallons a day.
micky wrote:

Yes.
I live in an area where everyone has wells. Leaving at least one water line unsoftened if you have a water softening system is SOP. And it's normally the kitchen, AFAIK. (I don't have a softener, but some of the neighbors do.)

Well, she bought the house from the guy who designed and built it for himself, so who knows what he did. I'll send her a copy of this.
TimR wrote:

Thanks to you both.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/water-softeners-sodium/faq-20058469
On Fri, 01 May 2015 17:12:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Thanks.
I just got an email from her and she says instead of drinking water, she's going to drink rum. So her problem is solved.
Just kidding.

Sounds like the well water we had back in CA. Terrible stuff! Almost undrinkable. Even Kool-Aid wouldn't help.
Try letting the water stand in the refrigerator over night. If that doesn't help, try a filter, like Brita. If all else fails, there's bottled water filter stations most everywhere. Bring yer own jugs.
nb