drinking well water

Page 2 of 3
On 5/1/2015 10:04 AM, micky wrote:

I read your post this morning. Nearly choked to death. Very well done, sir!

That would be disgusting, I imagine. Not all parts of San Jose are on the same water system; santa teresa is on well water, and while hard, it's quite tasty.
| I've got neighbors that have bottled water delivered but wife buys | bottled when she wants water to just drink.
I'm not aware of any regulations on bottled water. Where I live, at least, I know that it can be legally sold in a bottle marked "Crystal Spring Water" having been filled out of any old tap. And then there's the question of possible chemicals leeching in from the plastic bottles. It's fine when local water is not safe, but the idea of bottled water being superior is a case of marketing overwhelming common sense.
A great example is Dasani, from Coca Cola. In many cases it's just filtered local water with minerals added back in. They don't even pretend otherwise!
---------------------------------- Expertly Designed Water In designing DASANI to be the best tasting water, we start with the local water supply, which is then filtered by reverse osmosis to remove impurities. The purified water is then enhanced with a special blend of minerals for the pure, crisp, fresh taste that?s delightfully DASANI.
http://www.dasani.com/ ----------------------------
A lot of fancy talk to say, "We're charging you an arm and a leg for your own water, sucker."
In some cases it's reportedly water from India, which created a water crisis there because Coca Cola was taking too much of it. Yet yuppies go and pay ridiculous prices at their health clubs because the bottles look good and the name sounds stylish.

True. And bottled water costs about 100,000 times as much as water from the tap. Literally 100,000.

I know this is true, I read it on the internet.
The fact is over 3 orders of magnitude from this assertion, at least here. "City" water is almost a penny a gallon when you factor in the sewer, that you pay based on water use. http://www.leegov.com/gov/dept/Utilities/Pages/UserFees.aspx
$3.27 + $5.85 a thousand gallons for the first 6000 (.92 cents a gallon)and $4.09 for the next 3000 (.994 cents a gallon) where the sewer gets capped. The water gets more expensive tho.
I can buy a gallon of bottled water at the grocery store for 69 cents. 35 .5l bottles (about 4.4 gallons) is $4-5 at Sams
!00,000 times? Not hardly, more like 70-80 times as much.
| $3.27 + $5.85 a thousand gallons for the first 6000 (.92 cents a | gallon)and $4.09 for the next 3000 (.994 cents a gallon) where the | sewer gets capped. | The water gets more expensive tho. | | I can buy a gallon of bottled water at the grocery store for 69 cents. | 35 .5l bottles (about 4.4 gallons) is $4-5 at Sams | | !00,000 times? Not hardly, more like 70-80 times as much.
On the other hand, $2 for 16 oz. is not an unusual way to buy it. Nearly everyone I know will buy a bottle when they're out and about, rather than carrying water with them. I even often see people buy a bottle in a sandwhich shop rather than ask for a glass of water that's made available. They feel like they're buying an official drink to go with their meal. A glass of water just isn't official enough. That's $16/gallon, which is more than 1,600 times the cost you quote. That may not be 100,000 time as much, but it's getting up there. Now, say you're stuck in an airport terminal and want to buy an 8 oz bottle.... :)
(I haven't actually flown since 9/11, but I've been told that one of the current scams is that one cannot carry more than 3 oz of liquid. Apparently a lot of planes are blown up with shampoo. But once one has passed the security gauntlet one can buy bottled water to take on the plane. I can only guess what they charge that captive audience.)

you can bring an _empty_ water bottle past the TSA checkpoint, then fill it up at a water fountain in the secured zone.
| > (I haven't actually flown since 9/11, but I've been told | >that one of the current scams is that one cannot carry | >more than 3 oz of liquid. | | you can bring an _empty_ water bottle past the TSA | checkpoint, then fill it up at a water fountain | in the secured zone.
I've heard that. Yet people buy the water. It's as though we've been gradually trained to feel that if it's not a retail experience it's not any experience at all. :)
On Sat, 2 May 2015 08:23:25 -0400, "Mayayana"

Another issue is, if you want to find out just how bad your water is, put it in a canteen and let it sit there for a week or two. Bottled water will last for years, typical tap water becomes a science fair project pretty fast, particularly well water. ... and that was what we were talking about.
| >| you can bring an _empty_ water bottle past the TSA | >| checkpoint, then fill it up at a water fountain | >| in the secured zone. | > | > I've heard that. Yet people buy the water. It's as | >though we've been gradually trained to feel that if | >it's not a retail experience it's not any experience at | >all. :) | > | | Another issue is, if you want to find out just how bad your water is, | put it in a canteen and let it sit there for a week or two. | Bottled water will last for years, typical tap water becomes a science | fair project pretty fast, particularly well water. ... and that was | what we were talking about.
We were? Who stores water for a week before going to the airport? The discussion started out talking about the pros and cons of hard water, but this sub-thread has been about the pros and cons of buying bottled water and about the stunning amount of water sold for no good reason, including "designer" water that's simply tap water or distilled water with minerals added back in.
If I were going to store a week's worth of bottled water (why? for a camping trip?) I might buy the first lot. I'd refill the bottles next time. My local water is chlorinated and I have no reason to think it would degrade. Bottled water I've tried from plastic gallon jugs, on the other hand, is generally nasty stuff with an odd, musty taste.
On the other hand, I guess that may be relative. If you live in Florida you may not have access to clean-tasting water. In that case I suppose cheapo bottled water may actually taste good, and Texas water in Florida may seem like famous French water does to New Yorkers. Looked at that way, I guess $.69/gallon for "El Paso Evian" is actually a good deal. :)
[snip]

I find that true if the water is exposed to the air. In a closed container, it lasts much longer.
BTW, a closed container, such as the small bottle I carry when me almost every time I leave the house. I seldom use bottled water. It's too easy to fill the bottle at home.
BTW, I'm currently using one marked "TSA approved".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

iIRC 25 years ago, I never used to be thirsty except at meal time or after working in the sun.
Now I have a bottle of water next to my bed, and another bottle in the basement where the computer is, and I drink a lot from both of them.
And I carry either a canteen or a bottle of water in the car, at least in the summer, and I drink from it too, at red lights etc.
I wonder why.
On 5/2/2015 11:00 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I know over the road diesel is a different color than home heating oil. Is approved TSA water a different color, also?
On Sat, 02 May 2015 10:26:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They told us the water would be turned off one day, so I fillled two 2-liter bottles, but I never drank any of it. I'll try it soon.
I do keep a bottle of water on the back deck, for when I get thirsty there. It's lasted from summer to fall, and again until spring and tasted fine.
No particles visible in either of these . I guess we have good water.
On 5/2/2015 8:23 AM, Mayayana wrote:

What color is TSA approved water?
On Fri, 1 May 2015 15:56:06 -0400, "Mayayana"

Apples and oranges. Now you are talking about the price of a "one off" purchase from high mark up retailer. If you compare Desani to Pepsi, you are saying a couple of tablespoons of sugar is worth buck more too.
BTW do you carry a canteen around? Would anyone?

I fly all the time. You can't bring a drink through security but once you get to the concourse, you can have all you want. If it is really that important to you, carry your canteen through security empty and fill it up in the bath room They always give me water or anything else I want to drink gratis on the plane but I ride up front.
| Apples and oranges. Now you are talking about the price of a "one off" | purchase from high mark up retailer. If you compare Desani to Pepsi, | you are saying a couple of tablespoons of sugar is worth buck more | too. | It was meant as a joke. The idea of debating 100,000 times vs 70-80 times seemed a bit silly.... Whether it's 100,000 times, 1,600 times or 70 times the cost, it's still an absurd waste to buy bottled water in a 1st-world country with plenty of drinkable, tested water available out of the tap, and with no reason to think that the bottled water is particularly good, or even as safe as one's own tap water.
| BTW do you carry a canteen around? Would anyone? |
Yes, I do. Why not? I generally have a quart Gatorade bottle full of water. It's strong, non-BPA plastic and the bottle costs about $2 vs $10-$30 for special, high-tech, official water bottles that people carry to the gym or on bikes.
I wonder why anyone *wouldn't*. I don't see many water fountains these days. If I'm going out for a few hours, regardless of where I'm going, I'm going to get thirsty. So why not bring some water? Do you just buy sodas everywhere you go? Two bucks for a concoction of acid, water, sugar and who-knows-what flavoring? Why would anyone do that?
Or maybe you're one of the people supporting the bottled water industry, with empty 12 oz and 16 oz bottles strewn around your house and car? If so then I'd like to show you my collection of pet rocks and twigs. They make great companions and I'm selling them cheap... For a limited time only!!! The pebbles start at a mere $35 and come with an official certificate declaring them to be official pebbles. You don't want to miss this deal! And it's 10% off if you buy a dozen or more. In fact, this week only I'm selling a whole wheelbarrow full for only $3,400. (Plus a shipping and handling fee of $637.42) I'll throw in 6 steak knives and a slicer-dicer for free!!! :)
I always bring my Gatorade bottle to work, as well. I can drink up to 1/2 gallon some days at work. If I'm working in the summer at a place with no water available, or where the water is bad quality, I often bring 2 bottles. I take a bottle in the truck whenever I go out. Who wouldn't? :)
But you've got me wondering now. If it's never occured to the majority of the population that they can carry liquids with them on their travels then there might be a great business opportunity here. I won't even need to put water in bottles in order to sell them. I can sell them as official *portable* containers! I imagine it won't be hard to get a UL seal and all that other official stuff. I can't believe no one else has thought of this. And the marketing will be easy:
"Tired of the tyranny of $3 drinks at theaters?... Sick of searching high and low for a water fountain at the mall? ... Frustrated with trying to find a convenience store on the Interstate when you're thirsty?... Well, suffer no more! Now there's the new Acme Portable Container! In 4 different sizes for all occasions!"
Then I'll warn people that, due to germ risks, the bottles shouldn't be used more than 3 times. That'll take care of that pesky saturated market problem.

But water is so....so...so, tasteless. and so...so...so, fizzless.

That's what I do. I drink around four or five 44oz sodas a day.

44oz sodas go for 79 cents in my town.

I like the zero calorie sodas like Diet Coke. Keeps me slim and trim.

They say the sweeteners are what kill you in the diet drinks. Saccharin used to kill rats in the old days, now it's Aspartame. I've been drinking one or the other for over 40 years now so I'm surely on death's door.

I think we're both really really glad you're not me.

I do own some PepsiCo stock but even at five drinks a day I don't think that I help Pepsi's bottom line all that much.

The empties go in my recycling bin.

When buying a car one of the things high on my list is how many drink holders it has.

Well duh. Every convenience/grocery/Walmart/etc store in my town sells them. I imagine for folks just like you. (Google 'water bottles' for examples.)

Yup.

Nope. I seldom drink water.

My biggest problem on the interstate is finding a place to piss. For that reason I try to drink less when traveling.
| I think we're both really really glad you're not me. |
Indeed. :)
I can't imagine anyone not enjoying fresh water. To me it's a sensual experience when one is thirsty. In fact, Van Morrison once wrote about that, both the drinking of it and the experience of it on one's skin on a hot day: "stone me to my soul; stone me just like jelly rolls; stone me just like going home".

Of course I enjoy fresh water. I just enjoy diet soda more.

We all have our oddities. Personally when I'm thirsty for a sensual experience it's not water (or diet soda) I want.

He put a lot of stones in that text. Perhaps he was stoned when he wrote it and just thought it was water he was high on.