Drinking water thru clear vinyl tubing OK ???

Hi, Does the clear vinyl tubing found in Lowes, HD etc have any bad effects on drinking water?
Thanks
-- X snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.netX
Our water for fridge uses heavy tubing, don't use lightweight stuff.
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:35:47 GMT, "chirisophus"

chirisophus wrote:

If it's not labelled as FDA approved for drinking water, it probably isn't safe to use. The chemical composition of ordinary vinyl tubing and hoses usually contains substances that are not recommended for consumption, unless it is certified as safe for drinking water.
HellT
Yes, Use PB tubing or something rated safe by the NSF.
rik
--

Padded room with a view
RWC3

Farm supply or fish tank store will have biological-grade (food safe, in other words) tubing. The big-box store stuff may or may not be rated for potable water, and unless you see them open a sealed box and/or it is printed on the tubing?....
aem sends.....

PB tubing is polybutylene. Is that what you meant because it is no longer sold in the US.
Gary Quality Water Associates

OH, but there is clear tubing that will withstand 250# working pressure, and it comes in different sizes. It has reenforcing cords moulded in but you can see right through it. I have water hoses made from it that I use with my RV for hooking to the campground water supply.
Tom J
Wrong.
PVC is what almost every new home is plumbed with.

cannot

for drains and filtered ice makers...............yes NOT drinking water.
http://archive.greenpeace.org/~toxics/pvcdatabase / http://archive.greenpeace.org/~toxics/pvcdatabase/bad.html
see for yourself.
M.C. somewhere in Ca.

The refrigerators that have filtered ice makers often have cooled drinking water taps supplied through the same vinyl tubing.

drinking
Could be but are you sure it isn't clear PVC or polyethylene tubing? They don't kink like vinyl. Should have higher pressure ratings and larger ID for the same ID tubing (the wall of vinyl is thicker).
Gary Quality Water Associates

ummmm "filtered ice makers.... NOT drinking water.". what do you do with your ice cubes if not put them in your drink?
Well yes, I thought it might be from some far out fringe. I was thinking those health nut types but tell me, those water bottles I see many of that and other environmentalists groups drinking from, what are they made of if not PET etc. that their web site seem to condemn?
And as to their substitutes! Ductile iron, galvanized, copper, aluminum! as if the gathering of the raw materials and those products are made in a sterile environment without air and water pollution! Or as if there are no health effects in those mining them, making them and using them.
And I still want to see the science behind their claims.
Gary Quality Water Associates

bad
but
with
additives
cycle.
other
and
Not really. Many codes will not allow PVC to be used inside a building; mostly due to politics and plumbers IMO but they say it's due to it getting brittle and potential breakage.
Now had you said CPVC (tan or off white hot and cold version of white PVC), or PEX (crosslinked polyethylene in various colors for hot and cold apps), you would be right.
Gary Quality Water Associates

bad
but
with
cycle.
other
cannot
You might be an uninformed plumber if you.....
Show us where we can find this information because what I find says otherwise.
Gary Quality Water Associates
replying to chirisophus, JimS wrote: The clear vinyl tubing recommended by Home Depot worker actually has "NOT FOR ICEMAKER" line printed on the tubing. Too bad I did not see the printing (pretty faint) until after installation. Need to go back demanding replacement. The paper label also indicate that it contains chemical determined to cause cancer in California. So examined the label carefully.
On 8/23/2016 9:44 PM, JimS wrote:

Sure, just tell them "I'm too stupid to read so I demand my money back"

Guess what..... ALL plastics contain chemicals that will leach into your drinking water. One of several reasons I wont use PEX pipe.
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 4:31:10 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

you guys are slipping up..
this was the perfect case for one of those replies...
the OP died 13 years ago of some horrible disease caused by PVC in his water.
On 23 Aug 2016, JimS
alt.home.repair:

So, just stay out of California. Easy peasy!
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 01:44:02 +0000, JimS

The worker hasn't got time to read every label either and I doubt they sell any other kind of tubing. I've bought clear vinyl tubing twice at HD, in the last 18 months, but somehow I can't remember what either of them was for.

Just about everything has that California warning. They must have made some mistake when they wrote the law, because I'm sure it's not doing what they intended.