Drilling thru brick

I'm trying to replace the pilaster around the front of my brick house. I'm having a tough time drilling throught the brick with a masonry bit. Is there a special bit for brick???

TIA

Reply to
david

You likely have the same "bricks" that I do which are actually colored concrete in the shape of a brick. I used (one) masonry bit to install an outdoor electrical outlet on my sister-on-law's house. She has "real" bricks and the bit went through them like butter. Armed with that success I decided to do the same on my own house. Took me three brand new bits to make two holes for my screw anchors. All were ruined by the process.

What you need is not a better bit (though there might be one), but rather a hammer-drill as opposed to a regular one.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

No. The bit isn't the problem. The drill is. For masonary you need a hammer drill. A hammer drill acts like an impact and chips forward through the brick as you drill . Suggest seeking out your nearest rental company. Good luck.

Reply to
Jim M

Or if you see the need to use it occasionally, buy one for $40-50.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I think what you have is a real fired brick that is very hard to drill regardless of having a hammer drill or not. I would suggest drilling into the mortar instead of the brick if possible. I ran into this when I was installing lighting on an 100+ year old house. The mortar drilled like butter and took the rawl plug and held very well.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

"I think what you have is a real fired brick that is very hard to drill

regardless of having a hammer drill or not. I would suggest drilling into the mortar instead of the brick if possible." I agree with the above statement.

Reply to
scott_z500

A variable speed rotary hammer with a carbide drill bit will short work of any brick, stone or cementious material.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob K 207