Drilling Thru 12 Inch Block+Inner Wall

The wall is ceramic tile, drywall, foam, and then 12" concrete block (I can't detect any hollow). I have a 12" long masonry bit but the total wall is something like 18 inches! Is there a way of detecting where the drill is located from the outside (after maxing the depth from the inside)? I was wondering about studfinders that can detect live wires and metal studs or a non-contact voltage detector and connecting a live wire to the bit or rod...any thoughts on this? Thanks! Bob_V

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Cut a metal hanger, sharpen the point and chuck it into your drill. Drill the max depth with the masonry bit and then use the wire to complete the hole.

A hanger will go through both wood and block. BTDT

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or just buy a longer drill bit.....

Reply to
trader4

Seriously? Do you use HS (I know you don't use hammer-setting!)?

Reply to
Bob_Villa

If the block has the cored grouted (cemented) it aint' going through. An extension for the bit should do the job if the hole size is at least

5/8" or so.
Reply to
Pete C.

an't detect any hollow). I have a 12" long masonry bit but the total wall i s something like 18 inches! Is there a way of detecting where the drill is located from the outside (after maxing the depth from the inside)? I was wo ndering about studfinders that can detect live wires and metal studs or a n on-contact voltage detector and connecting a live wire to the bit or rod... any thoughts on this? Thanks! Bob_V

An extension holder for the bit is not that expensive, assuming you have a decent hardware store within 20 miles or so.

Reply to
hrhofmann

1/4 in. so I'm limited unless I go larger...
Reply to
Bob_Villa

Has anyone taken the carbide end off...and silver-soldered it to a slotted rod?

Reply to
Bob_Villa

If you have an electric welder, weld a bit of rod on and extend the drill. You might have to bash it about a bit to get it straight.

Reply to
harryagain

Silver solder won't hold up.

Start on the outside and drill a test hole to see if the block is hollow. If it is, drill your outside hole and use a piece of wire to figure out how far you are from the sides of the hollow space in the block. Then you sho uld be able to use a tape measure to hit the same hollow from inside. The holes won't be exactly opposite but probably close enough. You can make th e outside hole a bit bigger to help. Then get that concrete patch in a cau lk style tube to "grout" the hole after you run what ever it is you want to run through it.

Reply to
jamesgang

What's with all the half-assed measures?

Get a longer drill.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You probably mean drill bit...Mr. other half of the ass!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

So If you are unlucky and hit a web you lack 6" of depth in the concrete block; if not on a web, maybe 1 1/2". For that, you could take a steel rod, shape the end some and bang away with a hammer. Ultimately, you'll probably pop out a sizeable chunk.

As far as going from the other side, how accurately can you drill and measure?

Reply to
dadiOH

Just for the record, I did not call you an ass did I?

Do what you want.

Reply to
Dan Espen