Drilling tapcons into hollow blocks

Page 2 of 2

Use the shorter screw and make sure you have the proper bit used in a hammer drill at moderate speed.
For your situation the 1 -- 1-1/8" would be the correct choice.
Sometimes you are hitting a core and other times you are not.
Colbyt

Yes. As with anything, understand the enemy. Take a block of the type you are going to drill into, and observe where the thick parts are, and that is where you want to drill in for max strength. Typically at the ends and the middle.
If the block was grouted solid, as some are in block walls, you can drill most anywhere and hit solid meat. A simple tap will either ring hollow or solid to tell you where the cells are grouted or not.

There is no trick. If you drill into the thin part, you will either blow a hole, or have a weak spot and your fastener will pull out. Just like regular walls. You can either hit a stud, or hit air.
Which one do you want to hang your Picasso on?
Steve
MiamiCuse wrote:

Save the Tapcons for something else and use short lead anchors and regular fasteners.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That's what I use. Wondering if anyone was gonna mention it. Thought maybe because of lead they were now frowned upon or illegal.
Google lead anchors if unfamiliar with them.
Red Green wrote:

Only if you tell small children they are licorice gumdrops :)
--

dadiOH
MiamiCuse wrote:

The blue screws sound a little long. Do the threads possibly go through the block and all you have is the smooth shaft in the block?
(more below)

Try easing up on the drill pressure so hopefully it won't punch a hole through, if these blocks are more of a problem than most, try turning off the hammer action on the drill when getting close.
*And here is the trick my brother recently taught me!* Remove the loose blue screw, get some scraps of 14-2 romex and insert a short length of 14 gauge copper wire (stripped). Reinsert the screw again with the copper wire in the hole. It really worked great for me! He said if it doesn't hold, don't bother with 12 or 10 gauge wire, drill a new hole.

One word...Don't. That's not what Tapcons or Redheads or whatever are for. Concrete blocks these days are way to flimsy to handle Tapcons, BTDT. The expansion necessary to anchor the insert will split the block. For what you are trying to do, only a light duty system is needed. The solution is simple, drill a hole with an ordinary carbide masonry bit big enough to accommodate a convenient sized wooden dowel. Cut off a 2" piece of the dowel and coat it with some 2 part epoxy (get real here, the stuff is cheap). Insert dowel in hole, and drill next hole. First hole by then will have a well secured dowel to be drilled for a small screw or whatever fastener you prefer to install clips. Repeat as needed to finish the run. We have used this technique for mounting service panels, putting up shelves, anchoring stair railings and many other chores. Have yet to see a failure, never split a block or nudged a block out of position which commonly happens with impact drills.
Joe