Drilling sideways through 2x6 lumber

Page 1 of 2
I need to drill 1,200 holes through 2x6 lumber sideways (5.5") and thought I would get a drill press to do it. Unfortunately, I haven't found a drill press that would accomodate a drill bit long enough for this work and then travel the nearly 6" I need to bore the hole in 1 pass.
Does anyone know of a tool that might get this job done?
Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

You could spend a zillion bucks on an industrial drill press that would have the stroke you want.
You could buy a lathe, chuck the drill bit in the lathe and rig a feed table to move the wood into the bit.
Or, if this is a one time job, I'd just rig up a fixture to allow me to do it with a hand drill.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:28:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@westnet.poe.com wrote:

An old Craftsman radail arm saw will do it. Boring the holes horizontally. A raised table and fence right back against the RAS support post. Slide the boards into position a push the drill through.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Try http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeIdi70&langId=-1&catalogId@06970&PHOTOS=on&productId 0308399&categoryId“622 at www.Northerntool.com
Rich http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

Add pictures here
βœ–
Nevermind, I misread the stroke of this thing. Sorry.

Add pictures here
βœ–
A friend of mine helped me drill several stacks of 2x4 lumber last summer. We drilled 5 pieces at a time, the skinny way. His drill press is an ancient thing inherited from his dad, but still, there has to be one out there that'll do the job.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Pointless post from Dougy!

Add pictures here
βœ–
Only if you need every little thing spelled out for you, professor.

Add pictures here
βœ–

What kind of precision do you need? Build a sliding jig for a regular hand-drill.
Add pictures here
βœ–

try rec.woodworking
if you have really large forearms, you could use an auger in a brace.
Add pictures here
βœ–
1200 holes? What are you making?

Add pictures here
βœ–

It's 300' of a laid on the ground boardwalk. I want to drill through the boards and run a rope or cable through the holes, with 1/2" spacers, to hold it together in 10' sections.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Given the use, why do you need to drill in one pass? Set up a 12" drill press with a fence on the table. The DP must have a stroke of at least 1/2 of the 2 x 6. The fence is set to center the board on edge. Drill one side, flip over and drill the other side right through. You should easily be able to get within 1/32" on any given hole. You may want to take a few seconds to be sure you mark the opposite side. The holes near the end are simple as you can set a stop on the fence to accomplish a dead on repeatable location. As you go the length of the 2 x 6 it would be more difficult, but not impossible if you made up a table affair with stops.
Sounds lie a nifty project. Be sure to post some pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Speaking of abpw, if you go there you will see a couple of drill press tables posted about a week or two ago that show fences and stops.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If I read your message correctly you need to drill 1200 holes in the end of 2x6's a 6" stroke should be pretty simple I would mount the drill press horizontally and make a jig to hold the 2x6's
Wayne

Add pictures here
βœ–
<< Does anyone know of a tool that might get this job done? >>
Simple chore for any ShopSmith owner. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
βœ–
| << Does anyone know of a tool that might get this job done? >> | | Simple chore for any ShopSmith owner. HTH | | Joe | 1200 holes? No simple task for anyone.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It certainly is simple. Using a RAS as a horizontal borer and a little ingenuity 2 people could do this handily. Sure it's work, but digging post holes is a lot tougher. Trust me I know.<g>
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sure it is. Once jigged up it becomes a very boring and tedious job but there is noting difficult about it. Trust me, spent 10 years running a commercial drill press and 1200 holes in steel was nothing. Very boring but nothing.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 29 Oct 2004 12:21:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (siljvc) wrote:

Drill into the stock 3", raise the table and complete.
Add pictures here
βœ–
For what you are doing all you need to do is it make a jig to hold the board and you could feed the board to the bit rather than the opposite as long as the jig did not allow the board to turn it would be safe and pretty simple a drill press that will do 6 1/2 is available go to McMastercarr.com just costs a couple of grand a used tool place may have a one for less. You could even take a regular high speed drill with a long bit build a jig and feed the board into it not that difficult to do really. Once the jig is set as has been discussed just a mater of repetition.
Wayne
(siljvc) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–