drilling porceline tile

We need to drill porceline tile to attach a handicap rail to wood blocking placed in the wall. Carbide bits will drill through most tiles, but not porceline. I have tried. Tile companies state that diamond bits are needed, and must be used with water. Anyone experienced with this process? Where can these be purchased?

Reply to
Chamblin

Wasn't this question answered to your satisfaction in the other thread? There's no reason to start a new thread on the same topic.

As far as the diamond bits - eBay.

RicodJour

Most responses indicated using a carbide bit which will not work. I clarified this in the new thread, along with the clarification of the wood blocking. Thanks, I have now found a source for diamond bits.

Reply to
Chamblin

Most responses indicated a spear point carbide bit which works quite well. A standard twist carbide drill bit never worked for me on porcelain tile.

Good luck with it.

RicodJour

Spear-point carbide bit works fine for me. Make a starter hole with a carbide-pointed scribe or other small tool, using a small hammer. They are sometimes sold as "glass and ceramic drill bits". I got mine at Home Depot.

Reply to
Roger Taylor