drilling holes into side of house

Hello:

My first time posting here.

For the first time in my life I'm a homewoner, and have little experience in diy or working with tools. At 40 now, I'm trying to catch up in a lot things others learned years ago but did not have the right circumstances to do that. I want to learn and doing projects and repair myself I find rewarding and fun. But I'm overwhelmed at times.

My question. I would like to drill holes into the side of my house. The holes will be small. It's for a small surveillance camera. The siding is the traditional wood siding, no baten board, aluminum or vinyl.

My question is: Are there studs behind the wood to look for? I'm guessing there are, I guess that's the "framing" of the house. Can I just drill on any area of wood? How deep should I drill? if there's no studs, how will the screws hold?

Thank you,

Chris

Reply to
rank beginner

Yes, there are studs, but for something as light as a camera, I don't think it's worth bothering to locate them. I'd use #10 sheet metal screws right the siding into the wood sheet behind it. Sheet metal screws have a hex head for a socket, which makes them much easier to install than wood screws. BUT: Definitely get stainless steel screws, or you'll eventually have rust stains on the house. And, put a little silicone sealer in the holes before installing the screws.

Shop for all of this at a real hardware store, and tell them what you're trying to do. Home Depot will probably try and sell you a torch or a toilet seat.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sure, you can drill any where you want. But, I would suggest that you learn and understand what and how a house is constructed. And I don't mean by studing blue prints or items of this nature. What I did to understand the basics of how a house was/is built was to go to a house under construction and just look. If you can find a development that is under various levels of construction this would help the most. Buy books on the subject and read. I have lot's of books on the subject and will consult them on ocassion.

Reply to
flansp78

Lacking a stud finder, you can generally see the fasteners that hold the siding to the studs. That should find the studs, but there are other considerations such as; wires and pipes. Frankly you never know when you drill, but you can up your odds by surveying the site and noting infrastructure in the area. I've been drilling with little care to the above for 30+ years, and have yet to hit a pipe, and only grazed a few wires. Just go slow as you break through and feel with the drill, may the force be with you.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

You should rethink what you are trying to do.

You do NOT want to be drilling holes into your house at all if you can avoid it.

Why the need for a hole? Why not mount the camera on a fencepost, or hang it from the roofline, etc... ?

Reply to
Noozer

It would have to be quite a tall fencepost to keep the camera from being meddled with by bad people, whose existence is probably the reason he wants the camera to begin with.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good reason to mount the camera under the eaves, by coming down from the attic.

Reply to
Goedjn

I've blind drilled holes in the side of my house for 40 years. About 1% of the time I hit something I shouldn't. Once it was a copper water pipe and once it was an electrical wire.

My daughter brought home a stud finder and it is more accurate than tapping on the wall and listening for the stud.

Drill away and just make sure you have the right color paint to hide your mistakes.

Reply to
DK

Thanks Eric -- I'll definitely study the infrastructure of that side of the house before going forward...I've already noted a coax cable running lengthwise underneath one of the siding boards, so I'll watch out for that. Also thanks for the tip about the fasteners. That seems to me the greatest clue of all to locate the studs. I'll keep studying that side of the house for a bit more.

Chris

Eric > Lacking a stud finder, you can generally see the fasteners that hold

Reply to
rank beginner

Thank you to everyone who responded. I greatly appreciate your help. I think I may consider installing in the eaves, I was planning to install the camera in the northeast corner of the house (looking at the house from the front) and have it pointing forward towards the front. Although the camera is supposedly weather-resistant, maybe the eaves will give additional protection from the elements. I don't have any problems drilling holes in the side of my house though. The holes would be pretty small.

Chris

rank beg> Hello:

Reply to
rank beginner

You might want to get more specifics about the meaning of "weather resistant". Sound iffy. How about one of those rectangular hoods mounted with the camera, even if you do install it near the eaves?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Agreed, take the time to see what kind of alternatives you have to Home Depot. You'll save thousands.

mrsgator88

You might have a studless house. I'd call a stud detector and ask them. Just search the yellow pages for Stud Detection Services.

Reply to
emailaddress

Why can't he just use a stud detector such as sold by homeowner places and hardware stores?

Straight question.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I've used two neodymium magnets stacked together along their opposite poles with good success. They're smaller than the stud detectors sold, cheaper, and more sensitive. And no annoying beep. You can get them at the Shack. Just use a circular motion with both pole sides against the surface.

Chris

aspasia wrote:

Reply to
rank beginner