Drilling hole in foam rubber?

Page 2 of 2

The rubber foam I'm working with is a very tough closed cell structure, not like styrofoam, the common urethanes, vinyls and such.
I sectioned one using a new box cutter blade, about the sharpest blade you can find these days. It was almost impossible to move it through smoothly without lubrication. A soap solution was used and I got the smooth surface I need. But with the hole saw it didn't keep the teeth from grabbing despite reversing the rotation. So I will try to sharpen some 3/4 copper pipe as I mentioned unless I can find a 1" cork borer.
You can see the texture at
http://img9.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc35&imagey966_PICT0309A.JPG

Why not use 1" EMT, if what you're after is a 1" hole? Out of curiosity, what are you trying to make, anyway?